$1-2000 for a 1.4L engine.. Sounds interesting?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Chlomo

Yo! Just got a price quote for a factory new 1.4L Hyundai Gamma engine! It is around $1600 brand new right from factory!(I live in Korea)
I will look into the more common 1.6L version but I suspect there will be no marginal price difference.

However one would need some ancilliaries to run the engine and I'm wondering if I might be able to use a $500 ****omobile accessories instead..
Just food for thought..

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Based on this torque curve it looks like the 1.4 liter Gamma is putting out about 65-70 hp at 4000 rpm at peak torque. You could run it direct drive and be comparable to a VW conversion or add a PSRU and be just right for a modest two-seater. The problem with a modern engine is actually getting rid of some of the more complex systems like variable valve timing that you just don't need on an aircraft. So if the 1.4 liter engine is the cheap, simple model and the more powerful models get that power from more complex systems, then cheap and simple might be the better option.

hw037996.jpg

Last edited:

cheapracer

Log Member
The problem with a modern engine is actually getting rid of some of the more complex systems like variable valve timing that you just don't need on an aircraft.
It doesn't weigh enough to even think about it and they are optimised to give best performance at each RPM stage so win, win.

Chlomo, when ever I have bought engines straight from the factory, they come with everything as shown in Mathew's picture as they take them off the end of the line and it's not worth for them to apply labour to remove the stuff.

Chlomo

It doesn't weigh enough to even think about it and they are optimised to give best performance at each RPM stage so win, win.

Chlomo, when ever I have bought engines straight from the factory, they come with everything as shown in Mathew's picture as they take them off the end of the line and it's not worth for them to apply labour to remove the stuff.
Sounds great but wouldn't one need throttle cables, ecu and such?

Chlomo

Dear cheapracer what engines have you bought so far..?I wonder if a car repair shop can provide those additional accessoroisNo one here will ever ever guess Im trying to build an airplane with it hehe

cheapracer

Log Member
Dear cheapracer what engines have you bought so far..?I wonder if a car repair shop can provide those additional accessoroisNo one here will ever ever guess Im trying to build an airplane with it hehe
Plenty but not relevant. Purchase of "Crate Engines" is very common in the USA.

I suggest you Google 'Korea Motec' for ECU setup or contact a member here rv6ejguy http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/members/rv6ejguy.html

Chlomo

Oh seems it is not a great engine after all.It weighs at some 88kg. Best forget it and go for industrial subarus instead..