1/2 VW plans

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

mullacharjak

IMO the Le Pelican has enough wing span 37 feet to carry the weight of a 1600cc VW engine unless one wants to fly without a licence.The Australian tyro is a smaller wing but flies with the 1600cc.Fisher super koala flies fine with a 1600cc(example in Finland).The 1600cc is a very under utilized engine.Maybe because its avaiable and too easy to convert and its considered to be very heavy.

F3A-1

Does anyone have a "full case" with rear mag? I have not found one yet. If plans exist I would like to buy a set.
I have an engine with the distributor and want to convert to rear mag or half case with rear mag as a last resort.

Thanks,
Lex

JohnB

HBA Supporter
Does anyone have a "full case" with rear mag? I have not found one yet. If plans exist I would like to buy a set.
I have an engine with the distributor and want to convert to rear mag or half case with rear mag as a last resort.

Thanks,
Lex
Scott Casler will build you a full case with mag but I doubt he will provide plans. One of the Legal Eagle drivers is a mechanical genius and has converted several in that configuration, I think he posted some napkin drawings sometime back, I'll check.
He also developed a spin on filter adapter that uses a Goldwing motorcycle filter and sits where the oil cooler was.

JohnB

TFF

Rear mag should not be much issue because they have been done to full VWs since the 60s. The Teenie Too plans came with very basic engine conversion documents.

F3A-1

Well, my full case, 1/2 VW has the crank cut in half.
I have a couple of other full case, full cranks such as a Revmaster with the mag driven from the aft of the crank.
I can create an extension, but was just looking to see if it had been done before with the 1/2 crank.

Thanks for the lead JohnB

TreeTopPilot

The 45 hp half vdub I have runs fine. Baught parts from Scott and built from there. 32 hours on it. Pulls a 56 x 24 performance propellors prop 172 lds static pull @ 3150 rpms. Dual 26 mm mikunis.

sotaro

Radford,
were you able to bolt the case to the firewall? No starter, no alternator, just a magneto? Any pictures? It would seem that the full case would be easier in that other than clearancing the front half of the case, the rest of the work on the case would be blocking off the holes.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter

Thanks,
Lex
Look up the old Peacock conversion, which featured a chain driven Lucas SR 4 magneto. British origin.

Turd Ferguson

So who sells the best 1/2 VW cut case plans?
Dave Carr may have been the first person to make a 1/2 VW in ~1974. He was the first person to draw up plans using cut and full case. Whether you use them or not, the plans are very clear an concise on what needs to be done. Great Plains sells reprints of Dave Carr's plans.
I sold a set of original Dave Carr plans a few yrs ago so they are still out there.

flitzerpilot

The prototype Z-1 flew well with a 1600cc VW for pilots weighing around 170 lbs. and the weight of the engine allowed a short nose with the pilot having a good cockpit view, ie. not seated forward between the wings as such, which would inhibit view. However the performance was transformed with 1834cc.

DrStoooopid

So who sells the best 1/2 VW cut case plans? I haven't yet decided if I am going to purchase an engine or build my self. I have access to some old cases, cranks and heads ( not serviceable at all) to practice with before destroying something new. I would like to look at some plans to see if it is within my skills and equipment that I have/have access to. For those that have built their own, what special equipment is required?
As far as cost goes, I know that I can build a nice motor for less than $3k. So there is the incentive verses $4k+ for one already built. I have built many stock and high performance VW engines 1600cc to 2332cc and never had a problem with any of them. Except one, a 2180 had a bad cam (from the factory) that decided to break but no major damage was done, and a 1914 that had an oil leak around the jugs from a bad block. (a new aluminum block at that).
So anyway chime in with your thoughts of the plans that you have purchased from where and about good or bad points about them.
thanks, Ken
I bought a set of plans called Carr Twin. Covers full and cut case. I think it was like $40USD comes on 11x17 tablet paper

Herbgh

I bought a set of plans called Carr Twin. Covers full and cut case. I think it was like $40USD comes on 11x17 tablet paper
I have enough half vw parts to build three engines..likely...Nickasil jugs,prop hubs,half cases,casler 86 mm crank..,scat heads..cams,surplus mags, half heads.Rods , bearings....sets of plans...
.Guessing the cases would need clearancing for the 86 mm crank...Set of Millholland heads...set up for Mikuni carbs.. All new parts...also a Global engine and two 6 oclock accessory cases..one with starter and alternator...full Mosler engine...2180 case,crank and prop hub only....best offers...