1/2 VW part ID.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

I've purchased a 1/2 VW engine and can't ID one of the parts. I think it mounts on the firewall. Does anyone know what this is and what it does and where it hooks to the engine? Does it matter which hose goes where? Is there a right side up? I've included a picture of the top of the motor showing where I think it goes but can't tell what hoes goes where.20220721_143429.jpg 20220721_143452.jpg 20220721_143535.jpg

Are you sure that is a VW based conversion !? Something just doesn't fit with any VW or Porsche case I've seen.
A pic of the whole engine would really scratch my curiosity.

As for your question with out 'hands on' it kind of looks like an air/oil separator - possibly with a one way valve in the case fitting? Hoses appear to be different size so what goes where should be easy.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Are you sure that is a VW based conversion !? Something just doesn't fit with any VW or Porsche case I've seen.
A pic of the whole engine would really scratch my curiosity.

As for your question with out 'hands on' it kind of looks like an air/oil separator - possibly with a one way valve in the case fitting? Hoses appear to be different size so what goes where should be easy.
It should be easy to check for a check valve too. There ought to be an arrow on the device showing flow direction if it makes a difference, otherwise just put low pressure on one end at a time and see if you get flow. I'd advise spending another $25-50 on a VW conversion manual. That should clear up any issues.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not VW. It is a Mosler
Which is bascally a half VW.

It looks like an oil separator, I made something similar for mine. Breather mist goes in thee bottom, clean(er} air out the top to vent overboard. There should be a check valve in the crankcase fitting to let air out but not in, but It looks like somebody moved it to the separator and just put an elbow on the case. I don't know why there's another fitting on the crankcase, that's where the oil fill plug normally goes.

This is mine, in an earlier iteration:

1658488454162.png

The small line is the oil return line temporarily in the fill hole, I later added another check valve in that line and a tee so I didn't have to disconnect it to add oil.

Yep you are right Bigshu. Not a 1/2 VW. It's a Global. I kind of thought it was an air oil separator but the second connection on the motor didn't make sense to me. Thanks for the picture Dana that helps a lot. I've searched the web for pictures of these motors trying to figure what goes where. I've found lots of videos of them running but nothing showing how they are set up. I would like to buy a book on the Global motor that has the specs. and set up if anyone knows of one.