1/2 VW gaskets

Discussion in 'Half VW' started by 12notes, Aug 12, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 12, 2019 #1

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I got my balanced crank back from Scott Cassler, and am planning on putting the engine back together soon. I need new gaskets to do so, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what I need.

What gaskets do I need to put it back together? Is there a special 1/2 head gasket? Anything else special? Where should I buy them from?

I have a Global 1/2 VW, if that makes a difference. I took it apart at my friend's hangar about 4 months ago, and haven't been able to go look at what gaskets were on it.

2. Aug 12, 2019 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

No head gaskets on a VW - at least you shouldn't use them. Dito cylinder base gaskets. Both go in the trash.
    Pushrod tube seals (8)
    Generator stand seal. Maybe 2 if you are using a crankcase breather there.
    O-rings for the main case studs (4)
    Oil pump and cover gaskets
    O-ring for the distributor drive hole (depends on what kind of ignition you are using)
    Fuel pump gasket(s) (one if using a block off, 2 if you are using a mechanical pump)
    Gasket for the "universal" case dipstick tube hole - if you are using that kind of case. It's the hole to the right of the oil pump looking at the pulley end.
    ............It's probably easiest to just buy a full gasket set for a VW rebuild. Some come with junk pushrod tube seals. Can't advise regarding these without ............hands/eyes on inspection. :(

Case halves = Ultra Gray silicone (small amount), Gasguscinch, or anaerobic sealant.
    Cylinder base seal = same as above
    Head seal = lapped with cylinder. Make sure you remove ALL of the lapping compound.
    ........If there is a ridge on the head that you can feel with your fingernail it's time for a head cut. Then maybe shims under the cylinders (not gaskets)

Edit: Forgot oil cooler seals. Depending on the case and cooler/adapter you may need a pair of about 4 different options. There is a seal that adapts the different size reliefs if you have a mismatch. These too, like the push rod tube seals, have spotty quality control and material selection.

The rest is all dependent on your particular conversion such as seal for the magneto.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Pops likes this.