1/2 scale wood, foam, fibreglass VW engine WAR BIRDS -

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

JRC

What ever happened to Carl and his 1/2 scale wood, foam, fibreglass VW engine WAR BIRDS? neil 813-784-4669 C/T

JRC

Yes Carl Boenig
I talked him into WAR inc. in Tampa, but lost track of him.
Wish these came in Kits
neil

TFF

I have seen one or two. Not especially complicated except landing gear. Essentially KR construction to hold the pieces in place with foam carved and glassed to shape. I hear they are a bear to fly when they get heavy with details. Learn to airbrush if you are a detail hound.

WARPilot

The WAR planes need to be developed into a kit. EAA34 has 4 WARs in Arlington Texas. We are looking at creating a mold to make parts for WAR models. The parts would be the fuselage, wings, flight controls and the truss substructure. The parts would be carbon fiber and infused. We think the empty operating weight of a WAR will be around 540-570lbs. We have a FW190 that is an excellent plug for the mold.
Would anyone want to buy a ready to go composite kit?
This is very early in the process.

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
If you're going to the effort to kit these planes it would be well worth the time to make them in 60% scale. From my mock-ups I have found that 50% is just too small for the average male pilot. Only in a larger plane, such as the B-25 or perhaps the P-47, does 50% work. I had to go to 70% with the P-39 to end up with a cockpit that I could get into.

Vince Homer

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
The other advantage of slightly increasing the scale factor is to make it possible to use a Rotec or Verner radial that won't fit in a 50% version.

Vince Homer

WARPilot

They are actually approx 58%. To change to a different “scale“ would require aerodynamic analysis. These airplanes already fly well and are proven. They just need some tweaks. The Verner could probably be made to fit, leaving the design substructure. Verner engines are slightly smaller and lighter than the Rotec.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
The WAR planes need to be developed into a kit. EAA34 has 4 WARs in Arlington Texas. We are looking at creating a mold to make parts for WAR models. The parts would be the fuselage, wings, flight controls and the truss substructure. The parts would be carbon fiber and infused. We think the empty operating weight of a WAR will be around 540-570lbs. We have a FW190 that is an excellent plug for the mold.

Absolutely!

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
One thing I would like to humbly suggest is that a small additional feature be added to the flap and aileron system on warbird replicas. The "crow position" is used very successfully in sailplanes, the flaps come down and the ailerons reflex upward a few degrees. This has the effect of increasing the twist or "washout", which makes significant improvements in low speed safety and handling. So my idea is this:

Real warbirds have large flap deflections, which gives you a lot of washout. But the large flap deflections cause a lot of drag. No problem, a Merlin or R-2800 has a lot of power to overcome that drag on a go-around. But 100 or 130 horsepower on a replica may not be able to overcome all that drag and go around.

If you had the flap deflection on the replica at 20-25 degrees, and the ailerons reflexed at 5-10 degrees, you would still have a large amount of effective twist, but you would not have as much of the huge induced/form drag. So it would make sense that the 100-130 HP engine would be able to give you more emergency go-around performance (due to less overall drag) and still give you a margin against tip stalls and "soft aileron" response.

The nice thing is that it doesn't affect the shape or "scale outline" of the original, you don't have to screw around with the taper ratio, etc. etc.

JRC

Great program - hope there will be a website to follow progress...

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
At over $600 for plans, war aircraft is a bit pricey.
If you figure out the cost or value of designing and developing a brand new aircraft, and divide it by the number of real-world potential customers who would buy and build one, that price is probably a steal.

Last edited:

JRC

FEI I encouraged Carl Boneig into WAR, what happened to him? and who took over from Carl Boneig? thanks lets talk 813-784-4669

redwitch

these WAR kits were popular around 1995. they have been tested and commented in the book " design of the aeroplane, " by D. Stinton, a test pilot at the RAF test site. It said although they are basically OK, the scaling makes them extremely touchy and sensitive, and that any pilot should be very aware of the type of machine he is about to use. They are definetely no planes for average low hours pilot.

wally

I will probably have first-hand info/knowledge soon. My friend Wally leaves tomorrow to pick up a partly finished WAR Corsair. It looks to be from pictures a fuselage and wings on the gear and has the shaped foam but no fiberglass on it. It comes with a supposedly serviceable when removed O-235 Lyc. and 3 blade prop. This is in addition to his Kitfox kit he has. The Kitfox will be getting the Corvair engine I am doing for him. He also has a flying Clip wing Cub and a mid wing Sonari with a big VW power.

redwitch

Hi. Nice collection of machines! i have spent a part of evening yesterday, reviewing all infos I had about the WAR kits. There is a real worry about the max weight and balance, they must be checked very carefully, The construction makes it a bit heavy, espacially when people put too much resin in the fiberglass. Easily close too the upper limit, if a big pilot with extra stuff use them, it can be very bad. Maybe you can consider a carbon fiber instead of fiberglass to save some weight . you'll find a very complete text in this verty forum, posted nov 5 , 2019, by BBerson. ( you should find it) called: " Bingelis letter to 1/2 scale warbird designers. " It telles everything you have to know to be aware of the special things that WAR planes are. good reading.

WARPilot

I will probably have first-hand info/knowledge soon. My friend Wally leaves tomorrow to pick up a partly finished WAR Corsair. It looks to be from pictures a fuselage and wings on the gear and has the shaped foam but no fiberglass on it. It comes with a supposedly serviceable when removed O-235 Lyc. and 3 blade prop. This is in addition to his Kitfox kit he has. The Kitfox will be getting the Corvair engine I am doing for him. He also has a flying Clip wing Cub and a mid wing Sonari with a big VW power.
Weight is critical and especially so on the Corsair. He should look into a UL Power, D-Motor, or Rotax. He will save 50lbs. min. Corsairs usually weigh about 800lbs empty(way over the WAR spec of 620lb).