1/2 scale warbirds

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dana LaBounty

There are two War FW190's that fly in the US. Both are overweight, a little. Both fly well and stall around 60-65mph. The scale is actually 60%. I would love to redesign these to meet their design EOW of 620#. I am friends with a composites engineer and we believe we could build a flying WAR with an EOW of 550#. We have a set of plans for a WAR P40 that may be our first build.
Where were you able to get the plans for the P-40? I hunted and was never able to find a source that would respond to contact. I did end up with a set of 3/4 scale Jurca plans for the P-40.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Were you trying to stick to Part 103? If so, my numbers say 22% scale for a slightly higher wing loading than a Lazair with a wing area of 155 sq ft and a gross weight of 500 lb. That would still be a 40’ wingspan so not small. If it were me I’d go with six giant scale electric RC model engines and a removable battery pack as those Saitos will start to get very expensive.

A better candidate for the silly scale multi engine ultralight would be a Miles M.57 Aerovan, which first flew in January 1945 but didn’t enter production until 1946. At the same weight and wing area it would be about 63% scale with a span of just 31’ 6” so much easier to handle and store. Completely impractical but good fun…!

Riggerrob

Speaking of W.A.R. replicas ... how does the installed weight (firewall forward) of the original VW engine compare with a Continental O-200, compared with a Rotax 900 series engine?

Tiger Tim

Someone needs to bite the bullet and make a part 103 B-36 Peacemaker.

I’ll accept donations if it has to be me to make the thing.

Tiger Tim

BIG warbird...
OK, bare with me here, how many here are familiar with the Lazair?
…Now, using this structural concept and some model radials (suggesting Saito FR60's), I toyed with the idea of what would be between one third, and one quarter scale Me323!
I for one think that’s an excellent plan. Tube and gusset fuselage and tail, Lazair-esque wings, and a bunch of little engines could be an absolute ball to fly.

Hawk81A

Ha! My buddy just sent me that battleship Kayak a couple of days ago. Think it was back in the '70s an outfit did offer a "Massachusetts class" mini battleship. It was around 15-20 feet long and used a 5HP outboard mounted midships (IIRC). You sat inside the superstructure. Dennis

Lucky Dog

Supporting Member
I believe there already is. It's just radio controlled - they should have put a seat in it. Personally, I'd like to see a Bally type B-17D. Dennis

Too bad the B36 didn't have a top gun turret, you could mock up a helmet to look like the turret and poke your head out of the fuselage above the wing.... I'll see myself out now.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Don't know if this has been shown on HBA before but it's a good example of a scaled down Warbird.

A 1/2 scale JU-87 Stuka from Serbia (I think ??)

Aleksandar Šljapić https://www.facebook.com/groups/436449473535787/user/100008693560636/

View attachment 127246

That's a great reminder of how big and powerful the original Stuka really was at 13.8 m/45' 4" span and 4,336 kg/9,560 lb max T/O weight with a 1,200 hp Junkers Jumo engine (Ju-87B1). It's not a tiny plane even at half scale.

Blackhawk

He's certainly no Steven Spielberg; but then, Spielberg never used a mobile phone to shoot a movie

flitzerpilot

The Ju 87 is a good effort, but spoiled as so many scaled replicas are by an oversized canopy. There was a Reggiane 2000 replica built in the USA many years ago that was quite convincing part from the enormously oversize canopy. The seated pilot had about 12" clear above his head. The trick is simply to seat the pilot lower and maintain a correct canopy line, even if this means a limited forward view when taxiing. The real things always had this view anyway and I cannot recall many tailwheel warbirds that did not require weaving when ground manoeuvring.