1/2 scale warbirds

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

WARPilot

There are two War FW190's that fly in the US. Both are overweight, a little. Both fly well and stall around 60-65mph. The scale is actually 60%. I would love to redesign these to meet their design EOW of 620#. I am friends with a composites engineer and we believe we could build a flying WAR with an EOW of 550#. We have a set of plans for a WAR P40 that may be our first build.

WARPilot

my youtube channel has some other WAR info. Hopefully by end of May there will be some great flying video and pilot reports from me. A group of WAR plane owners are working on updating the build to a kit that will make it much lighter and buildable in 500-700 hrs.

Last edited:

WARPilot

Some pics of our WAR P-47 in wood stage. It was/is in poor condition. I have been working on my landing gear issues and repairing fiberglass.

Attachments

Reactions: CRG

WARPilot

olphart

Update on Miss Mitty. She is no more. On landing I got sloppy and let my concentration lapse for a few seconds checking airspeed just as a xwind gust moved me off the narrow strip and into the wheat field. Correction was too little, too late. I found myself trapped crunched upside down in a too small space in a very uncomfortable position. Fortunately for me, my buddy was close by waiting to take off and was able to drag me out while his son lifted the wing. Probably the longest 5 minutes of my life. I still have back issues, but flying again.

reo12

Sorry to see the plane suffered so much damage. Glad that you got through it alive.. In the big scheme of things - that is what really matters. Hope the back gets better.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Update on Miss Mitty. She is no more. On landing I got sloppy and let my concentration lapse for a few seconds checking airspeed just as a xwind gust moved me off the narrow strip and into the wheat field. Correction was too little, too late. I found myself trapped crunched upside down in a too small space in a very uncomfortable position. Fortunately for me, my buddy was close by waiting to take off and was able to drag me out while his son lifted the wing. Probably the longest 5 minutes of my life. I still have back issues, but flying again.
Wow... bet your glad you built the fastback version of the CX4. Looks like it held up in a crash. Another recently crashed as well and the airframe faired well also. Seems these are designed right in the event of a crash.

Marc