• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

1/2 O-200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Hi All,

Since in some discussions the O-100 of the late P. Plumb appears from time to time, I have a (slightly) theoretical question.

What if from an O-200 or C-90 the complete assembly of the 2 rear cylinders (closest to the firewall on a tractor configuration) were removed?

By complete assembly of the 2 rear cylinders I mean the whole lot: cylinder heads, pistons , connecting rods , sleeves , push tubes, cam followers. This followed by plugging the holes in order to hold the oil inside.
Exhaust and intake would also require some plugging while the missing reciprocating weight of the connecting rods / pistons needs compensation at their former crank positions. Crankshaft remains as is, maybe with only some minor mods towards lubrification for the rear crankshaft bearings. Camshaft no mods.

Normally carb setting and ignition should stays as were, COG will move towards the prop. The stock O-200 weighs about 100 kg, Weight loss estimated at 35 kg. Power and torque will obviously be halved.

The above should turn the O-200 into an O-100 without any casing modification. Am I missing something obvious?

As for why: I collect my C-90 next week (in parts) being given a $$-reconditioning offer which I am not happy with. Might as well tinker a bit with it. As always: parts that I don't have , are worth fortunes , the parts I do have worthless. If some-one has a decent O-200 or C-90 blocking his doorway, one needed here.

Blue skies

Back