• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

foam cores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. E

Anybody with hot wire foam cutting experience near Savannah?

Our small team made a hot wire cutter and bought some foam from home depot. We made templates, put two guys on the hot wire cutter and the results were... inconsistent, to be gracious. I've looked for online videos about hot wire cutting but didn't find any relevant to airplane parts, only to...
  2. A

Foam material for building

Hi guys, not really sure how to start this but I'm an aero engineer and recently got asked to help with a yacht. The builders asked if I wanted to build certain parts out of Lycell or Mycell and I can't really see a massive difference between the two? Am I not understanding? Does anyone know...
  3. birdus

Foam of choice for sandwich airplane construction

I'm just getting into composite construction (and having lots o' fun learning) and don't know what the foam of choice is for fuselage and wing panels. This is for my F4U (AKA "Carbon Corsair") project. There's blue, yellow, PVC, Divinycell, Last-a-foam, 3lb, 4lb, 5bl, etc., etc., etc. I'm a long...
  4. birdus

Process for determining cloth/foam thicknesses in sandwich fuselage?

What is the basic process for determining the weights and numbers of plies (and direction of those layers) of carbon fiber fabric (both external and internal) and thickness of foam for layup of a fuselage and wing panels? What are things I need to know and questions I need to answer as I work...
  5. cblink.007

Eureka CNC ... has anyone used their products??

Hey all: I found a company that does custom CNC cutting for foam cores, called Eureka CNC. Their website is www.eurekacnc.com . I was wondering if anyone out there on this forum has used their products, and would like to give some feedback. From what I have seen on this company’s...
Back