• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

sds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Marc Zeitlin

SDS Usage / Setup Report

I've had some requests for an engine/SDS system report, as well as tuning information, so here you go. This is long and broken up into a few parts. It was originally posted to a couple of canard mailing lists, but I figured it might be useful here as well. Introduction - Overview: When I had...
  2. rv6ejguy

SDS EFI at Reno 2019

Andy Findlay is on the pole in Sport Class this year at 398 mph, which is faster than all but two of the Unlimited qualifiers. I'll be at Reno Saturday and Sunday, wearing an SDS T shirt, hanging out in the pits near the following aircraft mostly: 30,31, 3, 101, 61, 39. I'll have some free SDS...
  3. rv6ejguy

Subaru EJ22 Powered Zenith 750 Cruzer

Michael Hille in Australia does a good walk around discussion of his Subaru EJ22 conversion with SDS EFI. The music ends at 1:52 and the meat of the video starts there too.
  4. rv6ejguy

SDS at Oshkosh 2019

For those of you going to Oshkosh and are interested in SDS products, here is where you can see and find out more about them: EM-5 EFI/EI: Aviation West LLC booth #638/639- Ray Watson with his Murphy Moose Go-EZ Aerobatics- Kyle Fowler. He'll be performing on Tuesday and Sunday as well as...
  5. rv6ejguy

New SDS EFI Parts for Rotax 912s

We've just completed machining some parts for our new Rotax EFI kits. Hope to start test fitting these to an engine next month.
  6. rv6ejguy

EFI VW Sonex

Peter van Schalkwyk's Sonex won Best Auto Conversion at SNF with SDS EFI: https://www.sonexaircraft.com/pete-wayne-snf-adventure/ Peter is a long time VW/SDS EFI user. He previously had a Waiex which first flew in 2010 using our EFI. He's presently experimenting with different intake manifold...
  7. rv6ejguy

RV-10 Runs on SDS EFI

Here's a video of first engine starts on Les Kearney's new RV-10 with SDS EFI fitted:
  8. rv6ejguy

LS-3 Powered Velocity

One of our customers built this plane and just got it running recently: We'll be following this more in the future.
  9. rv6ejguy

Jabiru 5100 Spitfire Replica

Murray Kester in Australia sent me a couple of in-flight photos of his Jabiru 5100 (flat 8) powered Spitfire replica today. He's been flying it for a couple of years now with our SDS EFI on it. He says they are working at fitting a Toyota 5 liter V12 to it now. Hopefully ready in about 2 years...
  10. rv6ejguy

SDS At Reno 2018

We are very proud to have won the this years Reno Sport Class Gold championship on Andrew Findlay's Super Legacy, finally dethroning the tremendously dominant Jeff LaVelle who'd won it something like 7 times. This marks our second Gold win after the first ever EFI win back in 2010. Andy has the...
  11. rv6ejguy

SDS EFI Video Series

I just uploaded Part 1 of a new series of videos we'll be posting as we start the tuning process on a Lycoming 360 powered RV-6A fitted with our EM-5 EFI/EI. We'll be progressing through ground running/tuning, initial flights, and finally performance testing and flight tutorials. Part 1 shows...
  12. rv6ejguy

SDS Aero CNC'd Parts

I created a new web page consolidating most of the photos and links related to our CNC'd parts to get most of it in one place and reduce the size of some of our other pages to allow people to better find the information they want. Things slowly get out of control over time as we add new parts...
  13. rv6ejguy

SDS No More Leak Induction Tube Solution For Lycomings

These use a COTS silicone O-ring to seal the tube flange against the head, eliminating the flat gaskets which have been known to leak and cause grief on occasion. Like our SDS valve covers, these billet flanges tighten down flat with even, metal to metal contact so there is no more flange...
  14. rv6ejguy

SDS EFI on a 180hp Kitfox

I was over a a clients shop today to help with an SDS EFI install on a 360 Lycoming in his Kitfox. He went with the dual ECU option running both fuel and ignition, eliminating the carb and both mags. It started right up after a few blades from cold and idled nicely at 400-500 rpm. He...
  15. rv6ejguy

SDS Aero Billet Valve Covers For Angle Valve Lycomings

We're about to start testing our CNC'd billet valve covers for angle valve engines this week. These will feature a new gasket and fastener package for better long term sealing. As with our parallel valve covers, customers will be able to choose from several different anodized colors and custom...
  16. rv6ejguy

SDS EFI Production

I thought some here might be interested in seeing part of the machining process on our ECU boxes: https://youtu.be/xG03eReYIdA
  17. rv6ejguy

SDS Aero Billet Valve Covers for PV Lycomings

Just finished a roughed out prototype and playing around with scribing, engraving and laser etching. Will be refining the model and tool paths trying to take some more weight off for the production parts. Will be checking fits on a head tomorrow to refine the inside shape better and check...
  18. rv6ejguy

EFI VW

Peter van Schalkwyk in NC just sent me some photos of his new Sonex with our EFI yesterday. Very clean installation. This is his second VW EFI project. He had over 500 hours on a Waiex before with SDS.
  19. rv6ejguy

SDS EFI New Features

Today we finished testing our new dual programmer board design coupled with the V29.4 software release. This incorporates 8 levels of LCD brightness and 16 levels of contrast adjustment. These features were in response to user requests to tone down the backlighting levels for night flying...
  20. rv6ejguy

LS3 Powered Murphy Moose

This is Scott Hermance's Moose with an LS3 conversion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wapGdKxOQ He's set up to help people do conversions with a mobile shop.
Back