• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Where are the high speed (200mph) high wing kits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faralon

So I read the thread that was kind of an oxy moron, labeled something similar to "Where are the fast high wing LSA kits". LSA = 120mph max, and were looking to go faster.

I'm 33, grew up with a dad who has his Private Pilot and had attempted building a wooden kit that he acquired at one point in his life but never finished.

I'd like to help him live that dream by teaming up together building him/us an aircraft, all while I'm starting to learn to fly after many years of family visits to Oshkosh.

Wish list:

Cost: Between $30-40k for a completed airframe. (w/o engine, finishing, avionics of-course)
Speed: 190+ mph cruise even if its 75%
Wing: High is 1st choice for cross country visibility, photography, sight seeing, personal preference. Not opposed to low wing by any means.
Build Type: Kit, NOT Scratchbuilt/Plans based
Construction: Metal

So with that said:

The BD-4 - Has potential. Doesn't seem to be much factory support and web presence. I guess I'm spoiled with how well done the VANS guys have done. Its not the prettiest bird, but I'm willing to accept that for performance. Doesn't appear to have the best visibility.

The Whitman Tailwind: Close to the BD-4, but even less web presence and factory support. Visibility might be greater, but where you can see usually has 78 steel supports running thru your view.

So where are the NEWER designs for speedy high wing kit planes. One look at the cover of this months Sport Aviation has a 30+yr old with a new design that is up to snuff for sure. Oddly, is a study on the Tailwind and BD-4 but with a modern design. Yes Please!!

sacover.jpg

I hear others suggest the Murphy's, but they're plans/scratch built, and cost over the budget.

Thanks for your time reading, and looking forward to your suggestions.

There's always an RV7 or RV8 kit that would make up the "alternate" choice :gig:

Back