• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

another low aspect ratio idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lr27

I don't know whether this belongs here or in the ultralight area, but it does involve design. Have been thinking about a part 103 ultralight that might put some structure between pilot and whatever he's crashing into. Also, something with relatively benign stall. And something to make fun of the part 103 rules with. So this one's VERY rectangular. As of now, it's just hoked up very crudely in X-plane, which I just got running yesterday. Intended to run a Briggs, maybe even direct drive, though in the latter case it probably needs to be a v-twin. X-plane seems to think that this one meets the top speed and the stall requirements. It also seems very easy to fly in X-plane, though after doing low level aerobatics with someone's Pietenpol model I'm a bit skeptical. The rectangular shape is supposed to meet the Appendix two formula to avoid testing. Not sure there's a way to avoid testing on the speed part, though I'm thinking about it.

I've attached a picture. The X-Plane model is too big, and still very crude. However, I guess I could send it to someone if the email goes ok. About 2mb, I think.

Span 19 feet, chord 12 feet. AR about 1.6. 25hp (as I recall) direct drive, was hoping for less. Full flying elevons or whatever you call them, perhaps build like vertical stab on Volksplane. Two fins and rudders, differential throws. Probably there are further refinements that could be used to cut the induced drag a bit.

Attachments

• lr27squarewingplanemakerview.jpg
    lr27squarewingplanemakerview.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,136
Back