• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

NEW PROPELLER PATENT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Carlsson

LATEST NEWS!

I have just got the news that my patent on my new revolution propeller have been granted in 152 countries, including USA, Japan and Easter islands.

Today I can for the first time show what it looks like, what’s make it unique is the airfoil shape. It is this shape, (se pic.) that reduce drag close to zero, and angle the lift (thrust) line forward so much that the propeller is Self Propelled when it come up to a certain RPM and relative alpha, at tests with a 70" propeller this happens at about 475 RPM in a slight head wind, 1-4 knots. To get this RPM, all that is needed is a electric motor, I have used a regular starter motor, and a smaller ring gear, with no pistons to drag up and down, it just take a few seconds to get it up above the critical RPM.

In stronger winds 10-14 knots, hand propping is enough to get this RPM, when facing the wind.

It is now the fun and interesting part starts, by adjusting the blade angle (automatic electric pitch motor) the RPM goes straight up to 1500-1700, if we let go on the brakes here the initial slow acceleration is just what is needed to get the incoming air (induced and forward speed) to accelerate the Propeller up to 2300-2500 RPM and from a forward speed of 25-30 MPH we have full thrust, this with no added energy!

At higher speed 2700-2800 the RPM self adjust with the increased drag from tips at high sub sonic speeds, M .72, so to adjust speed (and slow down for landing) the blade angle have to be adjusted, Yes you got it, the angle have to be increased to a higher then normal angle to slow down, and be fully feathered to land and to be able to stop.

So what is the problem? well without the need for an engine, small problem, except for the starter motor and a normal battery, we don't have this weight of engine up front, (no fuel weight either) so it means that we need a new aircraft design to fully use its potential, rather then fly with a dead weight instead of the engine, as we have been doing during the tests (C-150), for a single propeller (not single engine) plane the nose will be very long (wing moved back) and pilot sit further forward then usual in a reclined position.
A twin propeller airplane will not have this problem, and pushers can be made without the usual cg problem or long drive shafts.

When does this come to the market, well right now we are working with the electronics to make it safe and without bugs, and the redundancy unit, 2 PCCU and a "supervisor" that check for problem and chose the best unit.

All this have to be tested and certified, but we hope that in a year it will be on the market. So maybe at Sun & Fun 2011?
Jan
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Attachments

• April1.jpg
    April1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 316
Back