• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cantilever Load on Rod End Bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

On my design the stabilizer is trim adjustable, therefore it must pivot about a horizontal axis just forward of the fwd stabilizer spar. Attached to the spar are two pair of angles that have a .4375" bore to mate to a pair of -7 rod end bearings with the threaded shank oriented horizontally. The male threaded shank of the bearings points forward and gets attached to a thick plate at the aft end of the fuselage.

My concern is, is this an appropriate use for these rod end bearings? They are not tested for this sort of cantilever load. I'm worried that they could fail at the first thread (from the bearing). It's rated for 4600 lbs along the longitudinal axis. But I'm loading it perpindicular to that axis, of which there is no rating. These things are pretty beefy, but are they beefy enough for the loading they are going to get holding my entire tail assembly (horizontal and twin verticals)?

What are typical peak horizontal and vertical loads on the tail surfaces of a RV-8 class of aeroplane?

An in-flight failure of this part would ruin my day. :dead:

Last edited:
Back