• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Your thoughts on tenets of safe design.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankeeclipper

I hope this is the right forum for this question--my apologies if not.

If you were designing and constructing a light, amphibious aircraft (not necessarily an LSA but, say, under 1000 Kg), with a Vne under 150 kts, and with safety as your primary goal, what features, considerations and/or configurations would you design into it (or at least weigh heavily)? Naturally there are different opinions and different circumstances, but as an absolute neophyte I'd love to hear what your thoughts are.

Considerations I've come across (though not necessarily with solutions) are Bird strikes, floating obstacles, various engine failures, glide ratio's (i.e. decision time!), fire hazards, instrumentation, and control reliability. What caveats would you consider, and how might you meet those challenges?

A specific example:

It would seem to me that--all else being equal--a healthy climb rate is a significant safety feature. In the event of an engine failure steep climbs can buy a pilot some time to find options, or even return to their original runway.

Another:
Leading edges and control surfaces should be sturdy enough to endure bird strikes, but without being so bulky as to significantly reduce L/D. (Which do you value more?) Twin engines could potentially be a very nice-to-have in such a case too.

Back