• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mike's Doodlebug project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handprop

Hello folks,

If figured I should start my own project thread.

Well.......I opened three of the books I ordered this morning and only 1 of the 3 were any good. Dan Raymers book was the best of the lot. I spent 5 hours today reading Dans book and now I'm going to read it again and spend some time working the math. All of you who gave me advice were 100% correct. I think I understand what you guys were getting at. Thanks for the advice!

What I learned first off is if I'm going to try my hand at designing anything I should start by listing what I want the airplane to do and write it down.

Well, I gave it some thought and here is what I'm up to......

I am lucky because I am fortunate to have two airplanes. This gives me a few options. For as long as I remember many people just can't afford to fly and the cost is going up exponentially. Over the years I and some others have always wondered about a light weight airplane with a B&S Vanguard engine for a powerplant. It's been done before and I know people in Europe are following the progress with the Luciole MC30. I know of 3 airplanes with this motor combination that have flown with success. I think the type of airplane could be made safe and affordable for most people.

This will be a heck of a journey for me but I'm not in any hurry. I really think this is a good fit because I enjoy small airplanes and have a direct connection to Briggs & Stratton, and have an unlimited supply of engines and parts. In fact, this afternoon I made a call and a Vanguard 23hp engine will be dropped off next week sometime. I figured if anything I could always use an engine for something and seems it's free......why not?

These airplanes are super light so I would imagine that alone will be a real problem to figure out. So here starts my project. If anybody has any comments please do so, I need all the input I can get.
Mike

Back