• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lift distribution change for speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJC

Supporting Member
My Glasair Aviation Sportsman 2+2 has a wing span of 35 feet and an AR of 9.1. With Lycoming IO-360, the quoted top speed is 145 knots.

A popular mod is to rig the ailerons slightly TE up relative to the chord line to shift the lift distribution and increase cruise and top speed.

Rigged per specifications, i.e., with the ailerons’ TE aligned with the chord line, my airplane has a GPS-verified top speed of 147 knots. Raising the ailerons’ TE by approximately 1/4” increased the top sped to 149 knots. Others have reported gains of up to 5 knots from raising the TE by 1/2”. As soon as I can get back to my annual condition inspection, I plan to raise the TE another 1/4” to see what additional speed gain is available. I’m hoping to be able to claim a top speed of at least 150 knots rather than 149.

BJC

Back