Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My heart is doing flip-flops over and over.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My heart is doing flip-flops over and over.

If you watch this video and your heart doesn't do flip- flops, check your pulse, you might be dead. I love the B-18 and the DC-3. Lack of money sure cramps my life style.
    Friend had a jump school for about 18 years in a hanger next door. I helped to maintain the B-18 and got to fly it once in a while. A LOVE the B-18. Another friend had a local cargo service and operated 18 at one time. One day we were taxing out in the B-18 and a Hogan Air Fright DC-3 was taxing out behind us. Told John, If I had a camera, I would run out and get a shot of both airplanes that was JUST happen to taxi out at the same time.
    Always wanted to get checked out in a DC-3. Darn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7mR5ldyRkc
    Pops

If its not there, it cost nothing, weighs nothing, and is 100% reliable.

2. Likes mcrae0104, wsimpso1, TarDevil liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: My heart is doing flip-flops over and over.

Cocaine cowboy drug planes! Or Waco glider towing planes. Sure they hauled their share of passengers during the roaring era of aviation as well as their share of bananas. Wasn't doing a thing for me until the 6:25 mark. Guess I have a pulse then! Oh yeah buddy, that's the stuff.

This is the one that does it for me. I imagine I'm out searching for the River Lehte and I find it, just by riding that magic carpet of golden Christina's World straw... forever. Jumping hedgerows, dodging hay bales, chasing deer, flying down river beds... forgetting everything. Everything. I just want to be happy.
    Last edited by choppergirl; March 13th, 2019 at 09:46 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Geez, look at the size of the rudder on the DC-3. I'm guessing it was a handfull when heavy and single-engine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    If you watch this video and your heart doesn't do flip- flops, check your pulse, you might be dead. I love the B-18 and the DC-3
    Watching the DC-3 tends to make me drool on my keyboard ...

Dale
    N319WF

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh heck I thought you were talking about the B-18 Bolo, which was the "DC-3 on steroids" bomber...
    "Everything in this book may be wrong."
    Richard Bach, Illusions

"Common sense is so rare today, it should be reclassified as a superpower!"
    Derswede

7. Likes Voidhawk9, cluttonfred, bmcj liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was doing a pre-buy on an aircraft South of Atlanta and in the shop getting some avionics upgrades was a super pretty B-18; I think I have seen it at Oshkosh. Executive transport first class. On the ramp was a sad looking tri-gear version with no engines. There was a local cargo one where the guy would doze flying his; no autopilot. He would hear the engines change or something and nudge the wheel to straighten it up. Flew it all over. Even saw it on the main Fed Ex ramp next to DC10s during Christmas years and years ago. His was ex Navy and we had a sister one at A&P school; exact same paint job. No one had messed with it for years so me and another guy checked over the good engine and got it running.

There was a local cargo company that had DC3s. The owner also raced T-6s at Reno. More than once his or some of the other T-6 guys would intercept a DC3 coming back and fly formation or fighter cover back to the airport. They had tri- gear 18s too. Had to trade them all for Merlins to keep up with the times.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Read a story once about a C-47 (DC-3) in Europe during WW2.

The plane had been shot up so much that the crew decided to bail out.

They started walking, and after a few miles came upon a large field. There was their plane just sitting there. It had landed itself!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those are pretty, though my heart goes pitter-patter for even older planes of wood and fabric...Shuttleworth, Old Rhinebeck, etc. Still, there is something special about a DC-3. I recently heard about the Mauritania using a Basler aircraft for reconnaissance, it only later occurred to me that they were referring to a BT-67 turbobrop conversion of a DC-3/C-47. It's amazing how many of those are still in regular service around the world: https://www.baslerturbo.com/bt-67-worldwide.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5T-MAH Basler.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	79122
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Voici ce que j'ai fait...vous pouvez en faire autant!
    "This is what I have done...you can do the same!"
    --Henri Mignet (1893-1965)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I was doing a pre-buy on an aircraft South of Atlanta and in the shop getting some avionics upgrades was a super pretty B-18; I think I have seen it at Oshkosh. Executive transport first class. On the ramp was a sad looking tri-gear version with no engines. There was a local cargo one where the guy would doze flying his; no autopilot. He would hear the engines change or something and nudge the wheel to straighten it up. Flew it all over. Even saw it on the main Fed Ex ramp next to DC10s during Christmas years and years ago. His was ex Navy and we had a sister one at A&P school; exact same paint job. No one had messed with it for years so me and another guy checked over the good engine and got it running.

There was a local cargo company that had DC3s. The owner also raced T-6s at Reno. More than once his or some of the other T-6 guys would intercept a DC3 coming back and fly formation or fighter cover back to the airport. They had tri- gear 18s too. Had to trade them all for Merlins to keep up with the times.
    Friend of mine used to haul freight in a DC-3. Took a load of auto parts and on the return trip put the 3 on auto-pilot and took the other pilot in the back an taught him a hard lesson on thunder storm avoidance over the mountains that night.
    Pops

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I was doing a pre-buy on an aircraft South of Atlanta and in the shop getting some avionics upgrades was a super pretty B-18; I think I have seen it at Oshkosh. Executive transport first class.
    To my eye, a polished Beech 18 on straight floats is a thing of beauty.

BJC

13. Likes Pops liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, I think I missed a joke in there somewhere. Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Friend of mine used to haul freight in a DC-3. Took a load of auto parts and on the return trip put the 3 on auto-pilot and took the other pilot in the back an taught him a hard lesson on thunder storm avoidance over the mountains that night.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Voici ce que j'ai fait...vous pouvez en faire autant!
    "This is what I have done...you can do the same!"
    --Henri Mignet (1893-1965)

15. Likes bmcj liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Classic.

Once fished up in Canada. Flew commercial from Boston/Logan to Toronto then Winnipeg. Drove over to Red Lake, Ontario and hopped a Beech 18 on Floats to Birch Lake. No seats...just jump benches on either side. Other than the Trimotor ride at Oshkosh, it was the coolest vintage flight I've ever taken.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got one ride in a Beech 18, when we landed there were about 12 fewer passengers than when we took off
    "Everything in this book may be wrong."
    Richard Bach, Illusions

"Common sense is so rare today, it should be reclassified as a superpower!"
    Derswede

18. Likes MadRocketScientist liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anybody get a count on the number of cylinders in that formation?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo View Post
    Got one ride in a Beech 18, when we landed there were about 12 fewer passengers than when we took off
    Many rides in the right seat in the B-18 jump plane. Most of the jumpers were very nervous until we got high enough were they could jump out. I told many a load of 12 that there just wasn't enough of them to get me out of that door.
    John kept asking me to be his backup pilot. No WAY, those jumper would grab the keys out of the mag switch in the Straight Tail C- 182 ( with a Cont 520 engine) and go out the door with the key in their hand.
    SAM ( not true name FAA) said he would help out if John couldn't do it. I met SAM about 50 years ago when I landed at a small grass field for the first time and he was changing oil in his Luscombe. The field has been closed for about 40 years now. Sam said maybe since he would be flying for hire, maybe he should get his private license. So John gave SAM his private license and SAM helped out when needed. Also made SAM feel better flying his C-310 twin.

The B-18 was a drug airplane bought at an auction in FA. Flew it home and on landing the right wheel brake was locked up and went off the right side of the runway and down the side of a 400' high hill close to the Ohio river. Tree strump went into the rudder pedals and get both props and engines and engine mounts and banged up LE of the wings. Took us 2 years to get it flying again. Also put wider sky-diving door on with outside foot and hand rails so 4 could be on the outside and the other 8 lined up ready to jump. Someone had put auto brake fluid in and the oil rings swelled up and locked the brake up . John flew the B-18 many years.
    In the winter John would take the 18 to FA or CA for the winter hauling jumpers and one winter in CA someone wanted a B-18 to put on floats in Canada and make an offer the John couldn't refuse. When John got home he bought a C-411. Huge mistake, big pile of junk. The tail never quit cycling in yah and pitch. Another story.
    Like to know where the 18 is at. If I could see it, I could pick it out of others. Know most of the airplane very well.
    Last edited by Pops; March 14th, 2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Pops