Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Murphy Yukon or Alternative

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Murphy Yukon or Alternative

I appreciate all the input. I hadn't thought about the Zenith's for this, partially because I always thought they were 2-place only. The Wag-Aero looks pretty interesting as well, a little slow, but definitely interesting. This has definitely been helpful getting some idea of where to go.

I also got a response from Murphy yesterday evening, and they gave me all the info I was looking for as well, including an invitation to come up and check them out. They're definitely not out of the running for me (especially with the moosemods referenced earlier), but it's good to have options.

On an aside, yesterday was a huge moment. My wife and I were talking about this topic a little bit, and she's always thought it was crazy that anyone could build something and just take off into the skies with it. After explaining the process and how it isn't *quite* like that, she looked at me and said "Well, this whole idea of building something and then you being able to work on it, and we can go take the family somewhere, I think it's growing on me a little bit..." <-- That right there, huge win!

2. Likes cluttonfred, rv6ejguy, Voidhawk9 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations John, you just won the lottery

Are you in Maricopa, AZ? I remember when that town was a small road intersection with a couple of gas stations on the way to Estrella gliderport. My crew and I stayed there one time for a regional glider competition, one of the gas stations had two or three cheap (and unsavory) motel rooms above the mini-mart. One entire wall of that mini-mart was covered with hundreds of bottles of Thunderbird wine, apparently a big seller in that area.

At that time Maricopa was an agricultural area - I'm pretty sure they harvested dust for worldwide distribution! Poverty would have been a compliment So three 22 year old kids from Los Angeles showed up, with a shiny glider trailer, driving a rattle-can camouflaged Chevy pickup. We must have looked like spoiled rich punks mocking them, or at best aliens from another planet. Somehow managed to not get shot, stabbed, or beaten in this little place.

Now I understand there are thousands of houses and residential developments all over that area, and it is considered a primary suburb of the greater Phoenix area.
    "Everything in this book may be wrong."
    Richard Bach, Illusions

"Common sense is so rare today, it should be reclassified as a superpower!"
    Derswede

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo View Post
    Congratulations John, you just won the lottery

Are you in Maricopa, AZ? I remember when that town was a small road intersection with a couple of gas stations on the way to Estrella gliderport. My crew and I stayed there one time for a regional glider competition, one of the gas stations had two or three cheap (and unsavory) motel rooms above the mini-mart. One entire wall of that mini-mart was covered with hundreds of bottles of Thunderbird wine, apparently a big seller in that area. ...
    Thanks, I know, right?!?!

And I am in Maricopa, AZ! I used to come out here when I was in high school with my dad to work construction (he was a general contractor when I was growing up) and I also thought this one-horse town was creepy and in the middle of nowhere. Then I grew up, got a job in Maryland, decided I hated spending so much money for a home, my job let me work as a teleworker, and I found myself back out here, looking at a COMPLETELY different city that sells square footage by ton it seems like.

Also, about 15 minutes down the road towards Casa Grande is a small airport, Ak-Chin Regional (A39), where my Cherokee 180 is currently parked. It has cheap gas and friendly people, so I'm a fan of it! Now I just have to turn that Cherokee 180 into *insert homebuilt here*

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember Ak-Chin being on the charts. I remember Casa Grande real well too, driving into town at the wrong time when the livestock was being fed, and it was almost zero visibility on the road with a very memorable smell. Got stories about being stuck in Casa Grande with a strange old British antique airplane.

Does Lufthansa still have that nice training facility and private airport up there halfway between Estralla and Buckeye? It wasn't there when we were racing gliders in the 1980's, but then it was there when I flew through there in a powered airplane years later.

Sorry for the thread drift everyone else, memory lane drags me in sometimes

The Cherokee is a decent airplane, so my main question is what is the Cherokee NOT doing that you want to swap it for an E-AB?
    Richard Bach, Illusions

Derswede

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll help keep somewhat on topic with the E-AB question, but first I'm not sure about Lufthansa's private strip. There's not a whole lot between Estrella and Buckeye (I fly the backside of the Estrella's a lot to avoid the crazy amount of training aircraft coming out of Chandler and Mesa), but I know Lufthansa has a big training school at Goodyear, which is just east of Buckeye. But the smell is definitely a thing here lol (there's a nickname for my city; Maripoopa). You should come back and rehash some of those memories!

For the E-AB, there's a couple things. Besides the weird looks I've gotten for landing a Cherokee on the dirt strip at A39 (doesn't bother me, the guy who keeps it manicured does an EXCELLENT job), the plane has a couple things we'd like to change. Some of it may seem like it's tied to the idea of building a Bearhawk, but this discussion has put that on my mind temporarily...

First is probably the cabin size. I fit just fine in it, and so does my wife and my 2 yr old, but to get anyone else in the back seat is a bit of a joke. I'm not tall by any means, but no one can really sit behind me. Plus, it's a 1962, kind of old cabin, and any sort of avionics upgrade for TSO'd items are CRAZY expensive. The panel works well, but it just leaves a bit to be desired. I'd also love to have more than just the one door and a storm window.

Apart from the cosmetic-y things mentioned above, I love to work on things and fix stuff. I have been building things most of my life, and a kit has a lot of appeal to it. From the "Earn the Repairman's Certificate" thing to being able to make modifications I see fit, to the cheaper avionics packages (I've been looking at MGL after talking to the guy who owns Gairplanes, and I can get everything my little heart could desire for around $10k), I just really enjoy it. I'm even currently wiring a Bearhawk instrument panel up at home for a guy, and it just is so awesome to be able to do that.

I will say, the Cherokee is a fantastic plane. I got my certificate in it, she's flies beautifully, pretty cheap operating costs, and has that O-360 that is so dependable and cheap (to run), so I'm definitely not complaining. But I had a strut that kept failing on her that I couldn't really do the work on so I had to wait for the shop, as well as a couple other things that meant someone else had to work on it and keep me up to date. I just don't intimately know the plane like I did with the cars I'd build or the motors I'd work on, and I think an E-AB gives me that sense of intimacy with the aircraft and freedom I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nope, you're not wrong, that is the exact correct answer.

You might be able to take the O-360 out of the Cherokee and sell the airframe to pay for the cost of materials or a kit to build your "dream plane", or something closer to what you want. If you know and trust the O-360, then keep it and use it in the CH-801 or Bearthawk or whatever.

You can buy an old Tri-Pacer and convert it to a Bushmaster (stretched fuselage) and make a really capable back-country bushwhacker out of it.

One of our HBA members, Toobuilder, has a really nice experimental Tri-Pacer project for sale cheap cheap CHEAP, that would be perfect for your O-360. It's a taildragger already, and he put a low-drag landing gear from a Cessna 170 or L-19 on it, so it has a very good chance of making 125-140 MPH with a strong O-360. I have seen this project, it is kept high and dry in a hangar in a very dry sesert climate. You could literally sell just the wings off of your Cherokee and be able to buy his complete airframe project. And be 75% done at that starting point.

If I were you I'd send him a PM and ask for photos and info on that project. Four full size people and some baggage will fit in that airplane I believe.
    Richard Bach, Illusions

Derswede

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I checked out that project, and it definitely looks awesome! If I had skills in aircraft engineering and a better understanding of load and stress points, and maybe a bit more experience, I'd definitely be really interested in that. My one hesitation is my lack of experience. One of the reasons I'm looking at a kit is the small hand-holding I'd get while I work through the learning process. Welding is one skillset I don't really have, and I saw that Toobuilder mentioned in some followup a need for welding with the frame, which is way out of my comfort level. Maybe after I get a few builds under my belt I'd feel more comfortable with that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, then based on the facts as I see and understand them, my recommendation is the 801. Part of that is because I am not very familiar with the Murphy aircraft, but I do know they are highly regarded and apparently fly well. I have just not been around them personally, which doesn't mean anything.

From a personal standpoint, and airplanes I have been around a little, I do know for certain that the 801 or 750SD will be easy to build with lots of hand-holding available, and these aircraft will get you safely out into the off-road flying world.

If your mission requires 130 knots cruise speed and off-road capability for 4 full size people and baggage, it is going to be very very hard to beat the 1956-1959 Cessna 182. That's not an E-AB of course, but if meeting your mission is more important than the other factors, that old straight-tail 182 is, and should be, the benchmark that you compare everything else to.

I would look at some of the youtube videos from the Homebuilt Help company in Canada, get a small 10 minute taste of their builder help videos for the 750. Then if the videos seem to make sense and resonate with you, then get one of their DVD's and see the whole video. I believe you will agree that their videos are about as much hand-holding as you can get. More importantly their videos will give you a very good idea of how the Zenith airplanes go together, what it would "feel like" to build one, etc.

The 801 or 750 Super Duty would be a direct match for the engine you already own.
    Richard Bach, Illusions

Derswede