• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Replica home builts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've been working on this Smith Miniplane wing which is just a project to have fun. As some here know I'm doing this as a fun project until I figure out what I want. This has been an interesting journey to say the least.

I have a thread on possibly shrinking a two seater. That really got wheels turning.

I'm pondering all these options and last night while I was making parts for the Smith wing I thought to myself, I just really enjoy the building challenge, especially airplanes that are a bit obscure or rare.

What about a replica? Something unusual where it would be a challenge just to figure out the plans? Maybe a factory design that hasn't really been homebuilt before or if it has maybe just a couple of times.

Budget wise I would set the limit at about $80k. I could make that work over the next few years.

What designs exist that really would be neat to pursue? Spirit of St Louis? A rare racer? I'm not sure, I'm open to discussion. I'd even consider not flying it and donating it to a museum if it was far above my skill set. I'm after the challenge of it. The Gee Bee has been done a few times, so as much as I love that airplane it's not an option.

My only real requirement is that the fuselage is steel tube and fabric.

Back