Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Integrated aerobatic fuel tank with exotic engine

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Integrated aerobatic fuel tank with exotic engine

Quote Originally Posted by Scheny View Post
    I get the point, but this only applies after one tank is (almost) empty and I still have have the possibility to switch to either one. From the technical perspective I understand you, but if I have only L/R I would run in to the same situation that one tank will run dry and suck air at some point.

Nonetheless, I will project a LEFT/RIGHT/OFF now. Keeps only the question open how the header should look like and where draining/filtering should be possible. So I recapitulate: Filter and drain in each wing, go to selector, go through (potentially redundant) pump, go through header, go to the engine. I will ask the engine manufacturer about air bubble tolerance and foresee flop-tubes in each wing.
    I've flown a lot of aircraft with wing tanks. I don't think a single one of them has drained the tanks at the same rate with the fuel valve in the "both" position. This means eventually, maybe with one tank still half full, the engine will suck air. I always wind up switching tanks every 30 min to keep a wing from getting heavy. I would imagine the situation would be even worse with turbine fuel flow rates. Recovering from a flame-out with a small turbine in a small plane with a high landing speed is not something I would enjoy. The engine won't just come back to life the instant fuel is returned like a piston.

That said, if the header tank was of sufficient volume and the wing tanks feed the header, you could probably get away with a both position if you pay very close attention to the venting arrangements. It does introduce a possible failure though.

Nice to see someone doing something with the TJ-100. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Monty

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Integrated aerobatic fuel tank with exotic engine

One other thing I forgot to mention. I would carefully consider whether or not to use flop tubes in the wings. Flop tubes can cause all kinds of problems. They can hang up, get stiff with age, flop back on themselves, un-port in turbulence, collapse etc. The place for the flop tube is in the header tank. You only need a few min of inverted fuel.

Monty