• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

challenger 2 vrs excalibur?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caltard13

don't know if I'm pulling a scab off a wound here, but I'm hoping for opinions / experiences here.

so im looking for something fun and relatively safe to just mess around with.
If i was smart, i'd probably just buy skypilots RV3 for sale here. But I was starting to gravitate toward the challenger 2 - seems like a good fit. but in doing my research, I come across people who swear it is the bees knees, and others say its crap!

I was particulalry concerned with the oft mentioned lack of flaps, and the size of the vertical stab etc.

Going further, i came across the excalibur - that seems to be a very similar plane, but it does have flaps, has shock absorbing landing gear, uses a gearbox instead of belt drive, plus you seem to get alot more stuff as standard equipment as opposed to Challenger (seeming to bleed you dry if you want to upscale). stuff like electric start, bigger control surfaces at the rear etc. come free or mucgh hceaper on the excalibur.

anyone care to chime in here?

thanks in advance
Carl Johansson
Auberry Ca.

Back