Thread: Laminating Bush Alaska

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Laminating Bush Alaska

Hi all, I have caught cabin fever on the Kenai, Alaska!

4 feet of snow out and enthusiasm burning hotter than the leaky old wood stove in my cabin.....

I want to laminate all the critical structural members of my stork like bush plane ............
    I want to do it this way for 2 reasons

1)simply do to cost trouble involved ingetting un-obtanium..simply meaning its tough .getting what I need....AND that is considering I live within shoutin distance of living sitka spruces...LOL

Primarily the way Im thinking is that my experience with laminates is VERY impressive!

Any builders tread this path before me?
    I have read about a presenter at Oshkosh on "big box wood 2017" that likes to do it this way...

the view out my window
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1544318451570.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	78512
    Last edited by Kenai.pilot; February 23rd, 2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: ignorance

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Laminating Bush Alaska

look at the sticky at the top of the wood construction section......also AC 43-13-1b .....about the best I can do for you as every time I put a nail in wood it splits. I will add though I think any wood you use has to be "dry" might even be limits on the amount of moisture allowed... if there are it should be in those two publications.

https://www.google.com/search?rls=or...30.6iwbfZ4Xkqs

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have clear wood available, that would better. I have thousands of tulip poplar trees, can you guess which wood I'd use if/when I build a wooden plane?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every West Virginian has an Alaskan heart. I have been looking for a few acres of land as far from civilization as possible in WV. There are places, but not many for sale. Wanting off grid and at least 3-4 miles of 4 wheel drive trails sometimes called roads. Grandson just bought a 28 acre place off grid but a little to close to a road. Might put a cabin on it. We will see.
    Pops

If its not there, it cost nothing, weighs nothing, and is 100% reliable.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sitka spruce usually grows along the foggy southern coast of Alaska, Washington. I haven't seen Sitka spruce in southeast or kenai peninsula.
    https://www.thoughtco.com/common-spr...merica-4122754

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for posting, nice to meet you all.

This is the upper limit of sitka here.Lots of beetle kill here on the peninsula has diminished the few we have.

While bear guiding 20 minutes across the cook inlet I saw nice (5-6 foot DBH) trees. I am an old sawmiller/logger so that gets my blood boiling.

, Spent last summer on Kodiak, the bears were bigger, and so were the sitkas! In the village they cut and used beautiful clear sitka to build sheds, whatever....its all relative.

7. Likes davidb liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m sure the logistics involved with establishing contacts and figuring out how to harvest and mill are difficult. Still, I’d be tempted to give it a try. All that fresh beetle kill wood is being cut, split and debarked for firewood. Sure would be nice to get your hands on a freshly killed one which likely could yield some aircraft grade lumber.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milling your own wood would be very cool. Drying the wood would probably be the biggest challenge then selecting aircraft grade, but at least you would get first dibs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure would be great to have local Sitka Spruce to use . In my area there is a lot of logging but its mostly hardwoods. Lots of Yellow Popular. Local high-end wood molding mill will let you come in a pick through the Yellow Popular for aircraft quality at good prices.

The Wright brothers got their spruce for their airplane at Spruce Knob, WV. I have a picture of the Wright Brothers airplane when they couldn't get stopped and run into the Lily pond at the city park in Parkersburg, WV in 1913.
    Pops

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is white spruce in our neck of the woods, Pops. Properties are damn near the same as sitka, but it doesn't come in such big, clear sizes...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys,
    I was blown away at the ready availibility of incredible quantity and quality of straight grained sitka jusy a short flight down to Kodiak!!!
    A friend is a wood worker there and had aircraft grade lumber dried in his kiln.....destined to be house molding....I died inside a little bit....that wood wants to fly!!!!

Pops, It is an incredible feeling here to stand on a a hill and look up and down the yukon and know that there is NOTHING for something like 50 miles( north east of Russian Mission) in any direction...no roads , power poles nothing.....and a complete kind of silence that makes your ears ring....Some have a inner need for that...soooo, bush planes are a need, not a want here

13. Likes Pops, davidb, Geraldc liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai.pilot View Post
    Hey guys,
    I was blown away at the ready availibility of incredible quantity and quality of straight grained sitka jusy a short flight down to Kodiak!!!
    A friend is a wood worker there and had aircraft grade lumber dried in his kiln.....destined to be house molding....I died inside a little bit....that wood wants to fly!!!!

Pops, It is an incredible feeling here to stand on a a hill and look up and down the yukon and know that there is NOTHING for something like 50 miles( north east of Russian Mission) in any direction...no roads , power poles nothing.....and a complete kind of silence that makes your ears ring....Some have a inner need for that...soooo, bush planes are a need, not a want here
    I grew up in an area like that where there were complete silence and the only noise was the wind, birds, wildlife or the noise of a mountain stream. Not noise, but music. Grandfather and I would go the complete summer and not see almost anyone else. We were 7 miles from the nearest road and about 18 miles from a small town of a few hundred people.
    Pops

15. Likes Wayne liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well , I droped some coin today and bought a gently used lycoming o-235 ....surprised myself!!! it has bout 1200 hrs. so it is only 1/2 worn out LOL working on my stork plans set.

A fellow member here has been kind enough to guide me through the errors in the plans.Ha ha ...hey its an adventure in learning right???

I m havin a lot of fun in the process so God willing if I finish my joy will be double!