Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mike makes parts

Registered User Little Scrapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike makes parts

If you've followed my last few posts here you'll know I'm searching for a project. Untill I find one or figure out what that is I'd still like to have fun building parts, which is what I truly enjoy. It's been a real challenge to figure all this out for me but the one thing I know for sure is that I love scratch building parts.

So this thread is not about building a airplane. This thread is just a record of myself building various parts and just having fun. I especially enjoy making parts I haven't yet made before.

With absolutely no idea of what airplane I would want I decided to go through every set of plans I have and just find a part or component I'd like to build that would offer me various challenges for the sake of fun and learning knowing that it won't fly, it will simply be art but will still be per plans and airworthy because I always build to the absolute best of my ability. I never take short cuts.

After spending the evening going through plan sets I decided to built a Pitts S1 lower wing. In the next post I'll explain why.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190220_203600966.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	78467
    Last edited by Little Scrapper; February 20th, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

2. Likes fly2kads, cluttonfred, wsimpso1 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Mike makes parts

I decided to build this wing because I thought it offered up various "firsts" for me and some challenges I figured I'd enjoy.

1.) A Pitts wing is small. It's about 7' x 3' which is handy and manageable. I also have a table I built in my shop that is 8' x 40" which is perfect.

2.) Lots of firsts. Drilling vertically and accurately through a 11/16 spar. Making small caged bearing bellcranks. Building 2" accurate bellcranks has it's own set of challenges just to keep warping minimal for bearings. Drag/anto drag wires that cross through spars, that's a good challenge. Unique aileron hinges. Flying wire shafts that penetrate through the spar is a first. Laminated wood wing tips are another first for me.

3.) Small ribs are handy and I have material on hand.

4.) It's a Pitts, hard not to like anything Pitts related.

I have two sets of Pitts plans. 1 version is the old hand drawn set that's probably more fun than function. The 2nd set is cad drawn and are from Steen Aero.

Below are a couple photos showing some selected plan drawings of my challenge.

Name:	IMG_20190220_203548245.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	78468

Name:	IMG_20190220_203712419.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	78469

Name:	IMG_20190220_203732061.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	78470

So that's what this is all about. I have zero intent to build and fly a Pitts. I'm just wanting to build parts and have fun until I figure out what I'm going to buy, restore or build. This project of building a lower wing will keep me sharp, keep me in the aviation loop and satisfy my urge to scratch build. I have no idea where this will take me but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Mike

4. Likes cluttonfred liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Announcing you are just making parts as art might totally befuddle some. But sort of makes sense to me.
    I make and have made hundreds of test parts just to visualize new ideas and to see what works. And if my machines can form it, if it is light enough, strong enough...

Registered User addicted2climbing's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When your done if you dont decide to build the entire plane, you could use the wing as a computer desk. Just add provisions for standoffs to support a piece of glass and tie into the weldment attachment locations for the legs.

I have an Emeraude CP328a that I will likely never find a home for and was considering doing the same with the Elevator. In fact if you feel inspired, come and get it and build a flying Emeraude.... Only the fuselage is yet to be started. everything else is done... Just sayin

Marc
    Cloudbase Engineering LLC
    http://www.cloudbaseengineering.com
    Gopro Camera Mounts for Aircraft.

Cloudbase Aviation LLC

https://cloudbaseaviation.com/
    Aircraft plans for Raceair Skylite & Lil' Bitts

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Build a flight simulator........what became of the Minimax project?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Build a wing. Send to me.
    Build a fuselage. Send to me.
    Wash, rinse, repeat. I'll tell you when to stop sending parts. Good plan right?

Beats mowing the lawn.
    Bill Rayfield
    Newnan, Ga

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Scrapper View Post
    If you've followed my last few posts here you'll know I'm searching for a project. Untill I find one or figure out what that is I'd still like to have fun building parts, which is what I truly enjoy. It's been a real challenge to figure all this out for me but the one thing I know for sure is that I love scratch building parts.

So this thread is not about building a airplane. This thread is just a record of myself building various parts and just having fun. I especially enjoy making parts I haven't yet made before.

With absolutely no idea of what airplane I would want I decided to go through every set of plans I have and just find a part or component I'd like to build that would offer me various challenges for the sake of fun and learning knowing that it won't fly, it will simply be art but will still be per plans and airworthy because I always build to the absolute best of my ability. I never take short cuts.

After spending the evening going through plan sets I decided to built a Pitts S1 lower wing. In the next post I'll explain why.

Name:	IMG_20190220_203600966.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	78467
    ==================================================

How about making a Modern Belt Drive for Rotax 277? Also one for these cheap Honda/Briggs/Clone Singles. Part 103 needs a Boosts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Scrapper View Post
    ...Below are a couple photos showing some selected plan drawings of my challenge.

Name:	IMG_20190220_203732061.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	78470...
    You probably already know this, but the rod ends in that last drawing are pretty much unobtanium these days. No big issue if you're never going to fly the wings. But I can show you how to fab up functional equivalents from rod ends I happen to have a lot of.

--Bob K.
    Bob Kuykendall
    HP-24 Kit Sailplane
    HP-24 Kit Sailplane Facebook Page
    http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
    EAA Technical Counselor
    "Homebuilt aviation is not for folks
    who won't try stuff at home."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks.

It was brought to my attention that the Smith Miniplane lower wing would be cheaper to build if I stuck to the plans, which I'd like to.

So I started going through them and it's true, I'm pretty sure I can build at least 1 Smith Mini lower wing with very little out of pocket expense. I'm still looking through these tiny little sheets of plans so I'm not sure yet.

Tonight I'm going to spend my time studying them. The aileron hinges are a little odd on the Smith but over all seems to be a straight forward build.

So that's what I'm up to. Looks like either one would be a pretty fun project and a neat item to hang on the wall until I figure out my actual build.
    Last edited by Little Scrapper; February 22nd, 2019 at 10:59 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the Pitts is a better idea, especially if you can get an S model plan. You can make it art and that is cool, but if it’s built nice, it will have a value to use if you wanted to sell it. Someone ground looped or project bost. I will say on the side that I know of a Smith that has some unknown wings in it; long story. Someone like that would like a Smith wing, but they are the ones not putting out money on a cheap project usually.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I think the Pitts is a better idea, especially if you can get an S model plan. You can make it art and that is cool, but if it’s built nice, it will have a value to use if you wanted to sell it. Someone ground looped or project bost. I will say on the side that I know of a Smith that has some unknown wings in it; long story. Someone like that would like a Smith wing, but they are the ones not putting out money on a cheap project usually.
    Definitely a good point. Here's the thing though, I'm just making some various parts for fun for my wall. I'm certainly going to follow the plans and they will certainly be airworthy and absolutely no short cuts and the best I can produce but.......I just don't want to think in terms of what ifs. Hopefully that makes sense.

Input costs extremely low and the process extremely fun and the end is a neat product on my shop wall or my kids bedroom.

I still may do the Pitts, I'm going over some costs for both this evening. The cheaper one wins.

I'm just looking for fun here guys.

14. Likes Tiger Tim liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1. Build alluminum riveted side panel of B-24, rip edges
    2. Airbrush bomber art onto it. More amateurish it looks = more convincing
    3. List on ebay as mancave hanger wall art for big bucks
    4. Profit!

5. Make me painted tail of WW1 Fokker Dr.1 as thanks when you retire rich.

Let me send you Billyv's address to send parts to, it just happens to be my address.
    Make sure he keeps asking for a logical order of progression of parts from the same airplane blueprints.
    He's kind of a joker, I don't want er him to end up with an unairworthy Frankenplane.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post
    1. Build alluminum riveted side panel of B-24, rip edges
    2. Airbrush bomber art onto it. More amateurish it looks = more convincing
    3. List on ebay as mancave hanger wall art for big bucks
    4. Profit!

5. Make me painted tail of WW1 Fokker Dr.1 as thanks when you retire rich.

Let me send you Billyv's address to send parts to, it just happens to be my address.
    Make sure he keeps asking for a logical order of progression of parts from the same airplane blueprints.
    He's kind of a joker, I don't want er him to end up with an unairworthy Frankenplane.
    I have no interest in making money from anything aviation and I certainly wouldn't do it as a goal. I have a business already and it's thriving because I've spent 29 years focusing on my trade. Changing gears is costly and inefficient.

My interest is in just having fun making a wing part from plans that I currently have on a budget using mostly material I have on hand. Something to satisfy my constant urge to fabricate.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

maybe out of line here....have a successful business, two great kids, perhaps you do not fly a lot?.....might what to build something a little less pilot skill demanding, like a Cub....welded tube right up your alley.

18. Likes pictsidhe liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by proppastie View Post
    maybe out of line here....have a successful business, two great kids, perhaps you do not fly a lot?.....might what to build something a little less pilot skill demanding, like a Cub....welded tube right up your alley.
    If you don't mind please read my first two posts so you understand context. This is not a thread about money, flying, or my favorite airplane, or how much I fly or my kids.

This is a thread posted in the Tube and Fabric section on me making a part to hang on a wall. Please don't make assumptions about me and post it, I do mean this in a nice way so hopefully you don't take offense. My mission was clearly stated and I'd like to keep this on point.