Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mike makes parts

Registered User Little Scrapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Mike makes parts

Quote Originally Posted by N8053H View Post
    A friend of mine has one of these airplanes. It is powered by an A-65. Not long ago he had to land it on a gravel road from what he believes to be carb ice. In doing so the lower wing caught the ground and flipped him over. His son came and helped haul it off. The did not have to correct tools and ended up cutting the wings off at the fuselage. I told him I would have found the correct tools before I cut my airplane up. He know has this sitting in his hangar. I am not sure if there is any parts you could use, but I am sure my friend would sell you what you need.

Tony
    I appreciate the suggestion. I'm in it for the experience and fun of building so I'll need to pass. If I were building the entire Biplane I'd definitely be interested. I'm only building 1 of the lower wings until I figure out out my next move.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is video #3. I'm actually headed back to the shop and will upload #4 late tonight.

In this video I do a recap of where the rib jig process is now and the next step which is to build a router table. This video shows the router table and two different types of bits used in the process.

3. Likes mcrae0104, wsimpso1 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you like to build parts but only have the patience to build a few... I'm all for going down the route of buying or rescuing a damaged, neglected, or abandoned airplane someone has given up on, and building the parts it needs replaced to get it flying again. Building a whole plane from absolute zero is... well.. it's an absolutely insanely laborious and lengthy undertaking. I mean really, you have to be a bit insane to do that amount of work, to get the plane you want... and just to fly.

I've typed that advice out to Little Scrapper several times, and then hit delete thinking, nah, he don't want to hear it!!!

Anyway, that's the road I take. Any work someone has already done already for me, to build something that no longer works, is a gift horse for me that I'm not passing up... that I don't have to build said thing from absolute zero.

For example, if I find a microwave thrown out on the side of the road and I scoop it up, and only have to open it up and replace a 5 cent fuse in it to make it work again, that's 99.999% of a microwave I didn't have to build myself from plans and source the parts for... to get a working microwave. And just by opening it up, and looking at it, I learned and absorbed something about how microwaves work. Am I then an expert in electronics from the experience? No. But I'm a little bit smarter than I was before, and it starts adding up over time, just by seeing how others before me did things...

You can I guess become a master at your art by building parts for fun over and over, scraping them, and trying again. People building electronics circuits certainly learn fast that way. I find I myself just prefer to fabricate custom parts only when I need them, as I need them, right then and there, fix the thing... and move on... because there's a thousand other things line up ahead of me I have to fix or do... and I'm not going to live forever.

So if you crunch the landing gear or clip the wings on your plane and don't want it any more, too much trouble to fix it, I hate it now, the paint is peeling and the carpet smells funny, I'll just buy a new one... kind of thought process... hit me up :-p

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post
    If you like to build parts but only have the patience to build a few... I'm all for going down the route of buying or rescuing a damaged, neglected, or abandoned airplane someone has given up on, and building the parts it needs replaced to get it flying again. Building a whole plane from absolute zero is... well.. it's an absolutely insanely laborious and lengthy undertaking. I mean really, you have to be a bit insane to do that amount of work, to get the plane you want... and just to fly.

I've typed that advice out to Little Scrapper several times, and then hit delete thinking, nah, he don't want to hear it!!!

Anyway, that's the road I take. Any work someone has already done already for me, to build something that no longer works, is a gift horse for me that I'm not passing up... that I don't have to build said thing from absolute zero.

For example, if I find a microwave thrown out on the side of the road and I scoop it up, and only have to open it up and replace a 5 cent fuse in it to make it work again, that's 99.999% of a microwave I didn't have to build myself from plans and source the parts for... to get a working microwave. And just by opening it up, and looking at it, I learned and absorbed something about how microwaves work. Am I then an expert in electronics from the experience? No. But I'm a little bit smarter than I was before, and it starts adding up over time, just by seeing how others before me did things...

You can I guess become a master at your art by building parts for fun over and over, scraping them, and trying again. People building electronics circuits certainly learn fast that way. I find I myself just prefer to fabricate custom parts only when I need them, as I need them, right then and there, fix the thing... and move on... because there's a thousand other things line up ahead of me I have to fix or do... and I'm not going to live forever.

So if you crunch the landing gear or clip the wings on your plane and don't want it any more, too much trouble to fix it, I hate it now, the paint is peeling and the carpet smells funny, I'll just buy a new one... kind of thought process... hit me up :-p
    Choppergirl, I mean this with respect.

Please don't post on my thread if it doesn't concern the topic. This isn't about "should or shouldn't", I am building, this is what I'm currently doing. What makes sense to you is irrelevant to me. You're spending months on building a trailer? I'm not sure. Anyhow, I don't post on that thread for the same reason.

Again, I say this respectfully. Your talking about something that's irrelevant. This is a series of videos of myself documenting a wing build. It's done this way for my kids, for other builders and because I enjoy it.

So if you have questions or input that are relevant to the wing itself, building process, standards, etc then feel free to post. Please stop posting irrelevant posts on my tube and fabric thread. Thank you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, okay, just trying to help. Kind of the whole point of sharing on a forum.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making parts, if your goal is to become a master at making parts, or in this case, to make a wing with your kids..

There is one hard thing I've learned from this place in my 1000+ posts, and it's kind of an elementary but dead simple with some wisdom behind it. It took a long time actually to sink in. Maybe I'm kind of hardheaded, maybe it's because the simplest lessons are the hardest to learn.

If you make posts, you'll get posts.
    If you take pictures, you'll get pictures.
    If you make parts, you'll get parts.
    If you build a trailer, you'll get a trailer.
    If you build a plane, you'll get a plane.

I made a thousand posts, took a thousand pictures... and got, a thousand posts, a thousand pictures. I could of just as well of been wrenching on an airplane, and got an airplane. Which is why I'm rather scarcer around here now, because 1000+ is enough for me.

Your goal may be to become an expert at aircraft fabrication. Nothing wrong with striving for mastery at all.

My own goal is rather different, to fly, by hook or by crook, by any means possible.

If a sweet old guy were to say to me, hey, Choppergirl, I'm 90 years old, I got two cateracts in my eyes, I can't fly any more, you can have my beloved plane in my barn, I know you'll take care of her and fly her like a bat out of heck like I did in my 20's, but you only have to promise me if when you get to old to fly, you pass it on to someone else...

I'd be like, shortcut! Boom, I'm there. You got a deal! See you guys!

If your goal is not to fly, but to make parts... bond with your kids, become a fabrication master... then alright then.
    We know then what your goals are.'

So, if you want parts, make parts!

Heck, even, make parts for other people. You'd be challenged by plans from all sorts of different planes...

I'm missing 20 wing ribs on my plane. I've never made wing ribs in my life. Probably a simple affair, bending them in a jig. But if someone were to say to me, hey, I'll make your wing ribs, and charge you for the materials plus a little extra... because I simply love doing it... it would give me pause for thought, and I'd seriously consider it and say.. okay!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When the OP in a thread asks you to stay on-topic, 'prolly not the best idea to continue off-topic. Just sayin'.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post
    Well, okay, just trying to help. Kind of the whole point of sharing on a forum.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making parts, if your goal is to become a master at making parts, or in this case, to make a wing with your kids..

There is one hard thing I've learned from this place in my 1000+ posts, and it's kind of an elementary but dead simple with some wisdom behind it. It took a long time actually to sink in. Maybe I'm kind of hardheaded, maybe it's because the simplest lessons are the hardest to learn.

If you make posts, you'll get posts.
    If you take pictures, you'll get pictures.
    If you make parts, you'll get parts.
    If you build a trailer, you'll get a trailer.
    If you build a plane, you'll get a plane.

I made a thousand posts, took a thousand pictures... and got, a thousand posts, a thousand pictures. I could of just as well of been wrenching on an airplane, and got an airplane. Which is why I'm rather scarcer around here now, because 1000+ is enough for me.

Your goal may be to become an expert at aircraft fabrication. Nothing wrong with striving for mastery at all.

My own goal is rather different, to fly, by hook or by crook, by any means possible.

If a sweet old guy were to say to me, hey, Choppergirl, I'm 90 years old, I got two cateracts in my eyes, I can't fly any more, you can have my beloved plane in my barn, I know you'll take care of her and fly her like a bat out of heck like I did in my 20's, but you only have to promise me if when you get to old to fly, you pass it on to someone else...

I'd be like, shortcut! Boom, I'm there. You got a deal! See you guys!

If your goal is not to fly, but to make parts... bond with your kids, become a fabrication master... then alright then.
    We know then what your goals are.'

So, if you want parts, make parts!

Heck, even, make parts for other people. You'd be challenged by plans from all sorts of different planes...

I'm missing 20 wing ribs on my plane. I've never made wing ribs in my life. Probably a simple affair, bending them in a jig. But if someone were to say to me, hey, I'll make your wing ribs, and charge you for the materials plus a little extra... because I simply love doing it... it would give me pause for thought, and I'd seriously consider it and say.. okay!
    In the time it took you to write that post I made Mahoney nose ribs, shot a video, explained to my kids how to be safe, use tools, how to work for things in life that you want, how to have patience, how to think, how to solve problems. I did all that while you were typing.

Please stop. You're hung up on why and I'm way way past that point. It's sorta like being half way up My Everest and you're that person complaining about why it's a bad idea to climb Everest. That person almost always dies on the mountain having never accomplished it.

Again, for the third time. I'm asking you to stay on topic of the ACTUAL wing. Because you haven't made any airplane parts it's hard to contribute but please try.

One day, many years from now, somebody somewhere might benefit from these videos and this thread. THAT is my reward. I realize that might be hard for you to understand but THAT truly is my reward. I'm hours away from Monday morning where I will be getting up early, being a dad, running a business and doing my thing. Regardless of your opinion on how I spend my time it will not change. I read your opinion, I respected you enough to read it.

Now, can we stick to building airplane parts on the world's largest home building forum in a thread designed to document my hobby for the benefit of anyone interested in building?

Remember something, I'm actually building right now. What are you doing? Thousands of posts like you mentioned are something I've done as well. Just remember, I've also built a crap load of airplane parts, forged relationships, went flying, etc etc.

Have you considered your looking at this through the wrong lens? Because that's an option as well. You could be wrong.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Scrapper View Post
    In the time it took you to write that post...
    The twelfth commandment, on that third tablet that Moses dropped and shattered on the way down the mountain, was "Feedeth Not The Troll." Just sayin'.

Keep on with your parts-building, Mike. Much more interesting to those interested in homebuilding.
    Last edited by Topaz; March 10th, 2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Squashed really dumb typo.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

10. Likes Jerry Lytle, Little Scrapper, BoKu liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    The twelfth commandment, on that third tablet that Moses dropped and shattered on the way down the mountain, was "Feedeth Not The Troll." Just sayin'.

Keep on with you're parts-building, Mike. Much more interesting to those interested in homebuilding.
    Fresh coffee on, video uploading, parts being made right now my friend. Really having fun here today.

12. Likes MadRocketScientist, Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, whether you build a plane or a cabinet, you definitely have some good craftsmanship, and you make a pretty fine video. Thumbs up, friend! Keep it coming.
    Bill Rayfield
    Newnan, Ga

14. Likes Little Scrapper, fly2kads liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Video #4

In this video I put to use the temporary router table, I make a router pattern for the nose ribs and end with making a completed part from scrap.

16. Likes mcrae0104, fly2kads liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike. the wing your building is a Hershey bar type regarding all ribs are of the same length and a jig such as yours works well for those ribs. I would like to see an approach on building a jig for a tapered wing were either the trailing edge is tapered or both leading and trailing edges have a taper. I've done model planes using foam ribs and it was easy to accomplish by root rib and tip rib patterns made to guide hot wire. It would be cool if a person can design a jig to get the same result with ply ribs. I see a root jig plate and tip jig plate joined together Via threaded rod and shaping done by a drum sander but what if every rib is truss built like yours? it would be nice not to have to build a separate jig for every rib but I have yet to figure out a way around just that problem. Any thoughts? Don
    Taylor- Mono, PDQ.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by don january View Post
    Mike. the wing your building is a Hershey bar type regarding all ribs are of the same length and a jig such as yours works well for those ribs. I would like to see an approach on building a jig for a tapered wing were either the trailing edge is tapered or both leading and trailing edges have a taper. I've done model planes using foam ribs and it was easy to accomplish by root rib and tip rib patterns made to guide hot wire. It would be cool if a person can design a jig to get the same result with ply ribs. I see a root jig plate and tip jig plate joined together Via threaded rod and shaping done by a drum sander but what if every rib is truss built like yours? it would be nice not to have to build a separate jig for every rib but I have yet to figure out a way around just that problem. Any thoughts? Don
    Boy, that's another tough question for me. I've never actually thought about that.

Besides a Waco Taperwing what other airplane wing uses stick built ribs?

I don't own any Starduster plans, what kind of ribs do they use?

If the spar centerline's remain parallel the only thing that would change would be either the leading edge or trailing edge. That's a tough one because each rib would be custom.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Imagine a Hatz Taperwing modeled after the Waco Taperwing. Now that would be a unique project, I don't think that's ever been done?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190310-220315~2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	79047

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Scrapper View Post
    Boy, that's another tough question for me. I've never actually thought about that.

Besides a Waco Taperwing what other airplane wing uses stick built ribs?

I don't own any Starduster plans, what kind of ribs do they use?

If the spar centerline's remain parallel the only thing that would change would be either the leading edge or trailing edge. That's a tough one because each rib would be custom.
    Starduster SA 300 wood wings with a lot of rib work. sure would be nice to find a faster efficient way to get those curvy wings built. EAA biplane wood Hershey bar wings nice to build because of single rib jig.
    Taylor- Mono, PDQ.