• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cabin Heat, Water Cooled Engines - Which Way is Best and Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, there are some mighty tempting water cooled (auto conversions) engines out there. If one of us were to use one of them, we also have options for cabin- and windshield-heat. Which one is best and why? Options appear to be:

Exhaust muff and mixer box forward of the firewall. NEVER liked this scheme, seems like an open invitation to CO poisoning. That being said, I do have 2100 hours with such things, and when done well, it just works;

Automotive heater core plumbed with glycol-water in the cabin like we run in 17 million new cars built every year. I can run a sexy looking NACA inlet into the box, run a control valve on the plumbing, butterfly valves on the cabin and windshield ducts, and a scupper from the box out the belly in case it leaks. Yes, I have room for it;

Oil cooler plumbed with engine oil in the cabin. Ditto on placement and operation;

Automotive heater core forward of the firewall, with air plumbed through the firewall like we do with exhaust pipe muffs;

Oil cooler plumbed with engine oil forward of the firewall, air plumbed through the firewall.

If you have other options, we should talk about them too.

I do anticipate taking my bird into the teens where the air gets really COLD. Anybody know if the core needs to be bigger than is standard in cars.

So, what are the risks and rewards, losses and gains, etcetra? Those of you who have done so, how did it work out? Any pitfalls, fatal flaws, areas that require special efforts or attention?

Billski

Back