• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aviation in winter from a grass strip.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enewmen

Hi all.
I'm getting closer to getting a grass strip in Wisconsin & an airplane kit and I also need to think about winter and snow. In Wisconsin, snow can be on the ground a long time from December to April (I guess).
For a hypothetical grass strip of 1500' clear on both ends (the biggest I can find), I was thinking of a lightweight tail dragger (even contemplating a STOL gyrocopter) that can be fitted with snow skis in the cold months.
The problem is if I takeoff from snow covered grass with skis, I'll be limited to landing on other grass strips covered with snow. Paved municipal airports will likely be plowed and I'll need wheels to land.
So if I want to land on a larger number of airports in winter, will it be better to thoroughly plow my grass strip and keep the wheels on?
If I keep the wheels on, I may as well get a faster cross-country type airplane like Vans or Sling. Or don't even think about a Vans taking off from icy grass - even if well plowed ?

How is flying normally done in winter from small grass to small grass or small grass to larger paved (non-towered/towered) airports?
thanks!

Back