• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Building from scratch a dream

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Langlois

You are all familiar with my project. Over the years some asked for photos . I presume with the interest of how it got done. Since I may or may not get to fly that creation. I still want to share the how in more detail. When I began I did not find people very forward with there info. Its just as well I like braking the mold anyway. So I went it very much alone. The one mention as my test pilot and 1 other's along the way. Aside from my associate I worked with for all those years with an even better understanding in engineering than I. They were my sounding board with the internet .

When your young you feel invincible . Well I was not young but old feeling I knew a better way.

The first thing was to choose what type of plane . I chose the water for a few reasons I thought going it alone. I would not have an authority rebuking me , when learning to fly with out formal training.
I was right no one cared . and there is lots of room out on the lakes.

Then came all the choices of how to construct that dream light enough to qualify as a 103 Ultra light where ,the how and what with, plus the way you build, is your choice.
Scary, but its the truth, you are your own worst enemy. So that is why I went down that road. and the rest is how I made the parts and or did it all over again.
It Starts with the roll former and a year spent building it .This is a 6 stage roll former that could make a U channel from 1.375 wide slit 6061 stock on a coil . It can be run off at any length. and I have 3 die sets for different web width the legs get shorter, the wider. Meant to do a 1/2 inside web dim. and 1/2 wide outside web dim. for rib construction. The other set is for even wider 5/8 ID.
but never used.
Before we go to far into the whole story there was a special build .I had been involved with an online flying sim Microsofts combat sim CFS2
I made a very special control system for the game . It was far more than a plastic joystick , ruder pedal with integrated flight yoke. This actual trained my motor skills for the real thing trying to out fly those trying to kill me or me them .sim controler1.jpg the motion is the same as any yoke system . I spent a lot of time in training ,even if it was a sim I had to master the moves.

Last edited:
Back