• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Name that glider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this earlier thread, I introduced a simplified 13.5m version of the HP-24, project code "Scooter." I'm now strongly considering going ahead and making one for myself, with an eye towards it being a development prototype for an LSA-certifiable club glider.

View attachment three view 13.5m.pdf

Project highlights: Simplified, lightweighted, and cost-reduced construction, mixing fiberglass and carbon fiber and eliminating Kevlar except for cockpit stiffeners. Eliminates flaps. Reduces span to 13.5m to make it eligible for FAI 13.5m racing. Fuselage shortened to accommodate better packaging. Wings swept forward 1.2 degrees to balance shortened fuselage. Builds easily in 24' workspace, fits comfortably into 24' trailer. Smaller undercarriage wheel allows for cockpit even larger than that of the HP-24 on which it is based. 15m wingtips optional, but anything longer is out of the question. Aerobatic load limits (+/-6g).

The question: What to call it? I'm pretty much done with the HP numbers, this is my glider and retains nothing of the legacy HPs.

Please post your suggestions. Except, of course, "Glidey McGlideface."

--Bob K.

Back