• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rib stitching alternative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcrow

Please chime in on this all of you Fabric covering gurus. ( or should I say "dope" heads)
I am thinking about building a "Texas Parasol" and I was looking at the way the wing ribs are made. It seems as if rib stitching would be near to impossible with this type of construction. ( I would fear that the compression rib would cut the rib stitch over time) Any way even though it is not a high speed aircraft I would like the added security of knowing that I would not get any separation from my ribs and fabric. So this is my thought. Instead of stitching through the fabric with wax chord, why not wrap the wing at each rib location with heavy duty upholstery thread. Tie it nice and snug, apply more fabric bonding cement and then the pinking tape. Am I making any sense? The Texas Parasol wing uses two aluminum tubes for the spars with the ribs in between them. You would wrap the chord around the spars AND each rib over top of your fabric then sealing with pinking tape.
Once again please chime in on this if you are real familiar with aircraft covering techniques.
thanks

Back