• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pre-Flight Sump Check and Drain for Header Tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a header tank in my design, its bottom is well above the floor. I want to check the tank for contaminants before flight and be able to drain the tank fuel for service. How the heck do you set up the drain valve system that is also somewhat crash safe?

I can imagine a hard line that exits at the lower chine with a flush valve. That has the disadvantage of being able to tear it open in an emergency landing and dump 10 gallons of fuel right under the cockpit when things come to a stop.

I was trying to imagine the valve screwed into the bottom of tank, well above the belly, then a thin aluminum line out to an exit with a cable actuator. It is a long ways from the instrument panel to the header tank, so a cable actuation would be nice. At McFarlane's site, they are $800 and up, and most require a rebuildable core. There has to be a better way... I did find boat engine oil remote drain valves, but they are big and heavy... Any suggestions?

Billski

Last edited:
Back