• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Old HKS engines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13brv3

Supporting Member
Greetings,

I'm just starting to look for an HKS 700E, and it seems like there are a lot of these that are really old, with little to no hours on them. It's almost like they sold a bunch with projects that never got completed, and they turn up for sale occasionally. If you were to find an early (10-15 years old) engine that was just stored all this time, what are the chances it would be safe to use without a lot of parts replacement?

Assuming it's not pickled for for long term storage, I'm afraid of finding lots of corrosion. At the very least, I'm thinking you'd want to do a basic overhaul to replace seals, and check for corrosion. The real question is whether this would be affordable, or if it would turn a reasonably priced engine into a overpriced mistake.

Also, how about updated versions? I saw a listing from GreenSkyAdv that said SN 100600 was when some improvements were made, and they raised the TBO to 1000 hrs. Is it worth avoiding an earlier engine if the price is right? Were there any other SN milestones where significant changes were made?

Thanks,
Rusty

Back