• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bill of Materials for my Fuel System Plumbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Previously, we talked about configuration, and I am settled on my system, bought some pieces and tools, and sat down to do the bill of materials so I can order all those nuts, sleeves, elbows, tees, and nipples of various sorts. Wow. So I started wondering if I am doing all of this right. My system is talked about on here with a sketch of it - https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30820&page=3

I have hose nipples with 3" pieces of 3/8" ID hose to get from each tank into hard lines, the rest of the stuff aft of the firewall is 3/8" tubing, with sleeves, nuts, bulkhead connectors, etc), with a shutoff valve at each tank, 100 micron filters before the selector valve, and 40 micron filters before and after the EFI pump. Once we go forward of the firewall, it is all hoses, a metal fuel rail, and 1/8" lines to each of the injectors. There are a nineteen tubes with flared ends and two sleeves and nuts on each. Four of these flare nut equipped tubes, two tees and four nipples are just connecting the transfer pumps together.

Does this many pieces and connectors sound about right for my system? Not fair suggesting a simpler system, all three tanks and redundant pumps are staying...

So, I started looking around. Hmm, Wicks and Aircraft Spruce sell all the usual AN fittings for about the same money. Then there is Phenix Industries that I see in both catalogs. Even pricier and they make you figure out which of their parts are equivalent to AN stuff... I guess they are proud of their stuff, the price shows it, and making an easy comparison to AN for checking prices probably is not helping them sell more. A number of my hard lines are quite short, like those four on my transfer pump set. With my flare tool, I can make a line with nuts and sleeves that is about 2-5/8" long for a little over 4$. Phenix Industries sells a close coupler, looks like about 1-1/2" for close to $7, and their 45 and 90 degree couplers are nearly $12. So, if you need the close quarters parts they have, they may be worth it. Otherwise I will use my tube bender and flare tool. Have not looked too hard at Summit and Jegs yet, but I will.

Any other hints on places to shop for my fuel system pieces? Reports on customer service are helpful too.

Last up - running these lines from the outer wing sections, through the middle section, into the fusealge, and forward in the fuselage, these tubes cross ribs, fuselage walls, and center console boundaries. I am familiar with how the lines, valves, and filters are secured and prevented from wearing through in metal birds, but fiberglass appears to have some unique challenges. So far, all I know about are little patches of BID over the lines and bonded-on ziptie anchors...

What methods are used in composite birds for anchoring and preventing wearing through fuel lines and associated pieces? Got any pros/cons on each method?

Thanks in advance for looking and thinking about my little questions.

Billski

Back