Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Wheels

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
    expensive, certified 6 or 8 ply aircraft tire. ]
    I agree an expensive aircraft tire is not necessary for an UL....The Air Hawk is an aircraft tire though and with a tube not low weight.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pictsidhe View Post
    You could add lightness and a bit of spring by drilling through the side of your tyres.
    What size are they? The red plastic wheel in my first post with a better tyre may be a good bet for you.
    they are 2x8 and are Colson brand. The reason I might not keep them is the lack of suspension, but I am working on that as regards my seat cushion. The positives are cost and weight. This thread is a fantastic reference.....thank you.

http://www.colsoncaster.com/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

proppastie, look at the red plastic wheel in my first post. If it looks interesting, I could send you mine. They look pretty sturdy. I think the wheels are rated at 150kg, though that may be a tyre limit. They'll take HF 10" wheel tyres. I'd suggest trying a tubeless Carlisle if they past initial inspection, though.

Back to my wheels. I've been hunting suitable tubeless tyres. First to be tried was a Greenball Transmaster for around $10 from sam's club. 2lb 10z Though claimed to be tubeless, the ID was way too big to seal on my rim. It seated with no air, but I could only get a few psi in them as they leaked everywhere. Some furtive checking of 4 ply carlisles in the local Walmart aerospace department revealed that the $13 carlisle 2 plys would be well worth trying. First one I ordered had been badly trimmed, it had a knife slice out past the bead. So that went back without being tried. The bead diameter was promising, 3mm less than the Greenball. I just picked up a replacement, 2lb 14oz. An hour in the oven at 180F with a barely inflated tube and it's no longer flat packed. Went on OK with a little grunting, no tools and a wipe of windex. Inflated fine thanks to my oven trick and no leaks I've also stuffed tyres with rags before a low bake to get them suitably puffed to seal. If you try that, wait before SWMBO is out for the day, there is a lingering smell of rubber for a while afterwards...
    O.D. is 15 1/8" total weight of wheel and tyre is 4lb 4.4oz. Not bad for the amount of tyre. If I find myself needing tubes, the Greenball is lighter, looks reasonable quality and is 15 1/2" diameter
    I still need to sort out imperial size bearings. I have an idea on that, I'll let you lot know if it works.

They don't look much different to the cheapo tyres in my first post, so no pic.
    Last edited by pictsidhe; February 23rd, 2019 at 04:59 PM.

4. Likes proppastie liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We also suffered in Ukraine with the choice of wheels. Then began to cast their own aluminum. Weight rim with bearings turned out to be 1.63 kg. When tested to destruction, the wheel was destroyed for loads from 6 to 9 tons. Currently, we use these wheels on 1-seater, 2-seater and 3-seater aircraft, gyroplanes, trikes. Rubber usually Delitair, but if we are talking about intense operating training and agricultural aircraft, then use the rubber from Poland or the Czech Republic. The weight of the tire is 1.36 kg, the chamber - 0.4 kg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Изображение 126-.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	78529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Изображение 136.jpg 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	78530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Изображение 102-.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	78531  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9110006-.JPG 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	78532  
    Best regards, Vladimir Meglinsky
    My site: http://propeller.simplesite.com/

6. Likes proppastie, fly2kads liked this post