• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

O-360 or IO-360 more future-proof?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enewmen

Happy Holidays!

This has been bothering me and I'm trying to think far ahead. If thinking long term and building an EAB, better to go with a carb or injected engine? (I don't care about complexity)
For a long time, I thought the injected engine was a better choice since I can save fuel running LOP with GAMI injectors - injected engines often use less fuel anyway.
The carb engines can get the mogas STC on certified airplanes.
I think if I'm the amateur-built repairman, I can legally put mogas in an injected engine. But I'll rather not for now since I'm not a test pilot.
The 100LL successor (perhaps Shell or SWIFT UL 102) may be even more expensive than 100LL, so using ethanol free mogas on a carb engine may cost less and more future-proof even if less efficient.

So, if wanting to keep the engine for a LONG LONG time, better to run LOP with normal 100LL or just use mogas in the carb engine?
Or stop thinking so much since there won't be any 100LL successor for years and fuel is not the biggest cost of airplane ownership anyway? Rotax making a 160hp engine that can run many kinds of gas?

Any thoughts?
thanks!

Back