• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

4130 steel tube ribs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanttobuild

I am building "MY" version of the EMG6. The plans are open source giving the Green light for me to have at it.
The Engineering is complete, and I have confidence in the designer. I have all the info I need to build one.

Some of the parts are constructed with tooling that is beyond the scope of my capabilities.

The main part is the rib attach fittings. I have a work around, but it is controversial. The wing is a 17ft long panel, comprised of two aluminum tube spars, one of which comprise the leading edge, the lift strut attach point and the rib attach point. One part doing three things. My definition of efficient construction.

The other tube provides the aileron hinge point and the aft rib attach point, and lift strut attach point, again, efficient.

I am gonna replace the "per plan" rib attach fittings with a 4130 tube rib that have attach fittings. This rib will be a simple trussed rib, that will also replace the compression struts, and also provide a mounting point for the drag struts.

One can assume the rib is properly sized. This will be compared to the existing design.

The wing will be covered with Stitts Polyfiber.

I would like to ask is there a flaw in this scheme that I have yet to discover? Weight, not being part of the calculus.

Back