• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cantilever wings and 4130 fuselage questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoamandTape

hey all,

Currently thinking about crafting up another ultralight but have been thinking of making a smaller than "usual" (and lighter) craft. After building the last two (one of which was sorta successful- never mind the 2nd one haha we wont talk about it) I'm beginning to think about copying less of other "fat" ultralight designs and build something proportional to myself and utilize smaller powersystems etc. I did get an aerolite 103 to learn more from it but am itching to try another airplane with a hybrid of three different methods- chromemolly for the fuselage, traditional fabric covered wings/tail sections. possibly even a hybrid wing, foam/fiberglass "D" section of the airfoil and standard ribs for the middle/trailing edge portion (covered in oratex UL 600)

Still brainstorming about constraints but itll be gas powered for now, swapping the motor out for electric is planned as well once battery tech catches up. I'm really going to try to shoot for 125-155 AUW, 20ft WS 14ft length etc... I want to make it small and simple, will probably use a modified clark Y airfoil with a much thicker height to get more material into the spar. Monoplane design for less parts count and low wing to keep material for the fuselage down. Drawings will follow soon

Its all just spit balling for now till I figure out how to piece it all together, I'm mainly wanting to seek advice/plans on successful cantilever UL designs and if anyone has plans for an air bike/legal eagle! would love to just look and study these!

Also thinking about using a para motor engine such as this http://www.eos-engine.com/index.php?lang=1&hID=29 The AUW of the entire engine with accessories is about 21lbs!

Back