• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thoughts on a new biplane design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Thanks to the Hatz thread and other factors, I’ve got biplanes on the brain right now. I believe that a well-designed, open-cockpit biplane with classic lines will always have a place in homebuilding because of the association with WWI and the Golden Age. What would the HBA crowd like to see in a new biplane design? Power? Seats? Construction? Style?

Personally, I think that there are already enough big LyCosaur-powered aerobatic and sport biplanes out there and we could use more LSA or even European microlight biplanes for getting your goggles-and-scarf groove on for a lot less money than a Pitts or Starduster or what have you. Yes, there is the Hatz LSA and the Kieblitz from Germany and Sherwood Ranger from the UK, but it’s not a long list.

I could see a light, simple, affordable, two-seat sport biplane having great appeal, say 80-100 hp with a lighter microlight model and a heavier LSA version, not a replica but channeling classic biplane style. Here are a couple of possible inspirations: the timeless DH60 Cirrus Moth, the airy Leopoldoff Colibri, and the Javelin Wichawk for its side-by-side open cockpit.

B5D34669-A8D9-4AB4-9557-4A2F9A64ADD7.jpeg A59E5255-6B14-405D-996A-EB630EA324D2.jpeg 0553030A-C93C-4316-8745-D07FC82281B4.jpeg

Let’s hear your thoughts!

Cheers,

Matthew

Back