• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Vertical bonding joints.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tantrum1

Good day fellow builders! Well I’m looking for a bit of advice... I’m getting ready to bond some ribs to the spars. The rib is designed with a cut-out to straddle the spar, and once it’s done you sand off the straddle portion. Also a good point to mention, there is also corner blocking to be bonded in at all corners of the spar at every joint of the rib to spar. Leaving a nose rib, center rib, and tail rib. So these are placed in a fashion that the joints being bonded are vertical. The rib is also sand to fit on 2 of the 4 sides to give the best fit possible. Also important note, I’m using T88.

My my question is, since it’s a custom, sand to fit type of joint, what is the optimum spacing gap to have before bonding? I don want to have to big of a gap that the epoxy runs out of the joint, but not to tight of a joint that results in a starved joint. I’ve gone through the ANC but didn’t see anything, although it’s possible I missed it. Thanks for any and all help,
Mark

Back