• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A HEAVIER GOAT GLIDER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcrow

I am a big guy (250 lbs) but I really like Mike Sandlin's Goat Glider. Looking at the plans, he calls for a lot of .035 tubing through-out his construction. Which is fine, as Mike says, he only weighs about 150lbs. I was wondering if anyone could crunch the numbers or do what ever magic that some of ya'll do, to tell me if
1: I used one piece wing spar construction of 2 in 065 wall x 20ft for longer wings (lighter wing loading?)
2: Use 2 in .058 wall for frame construction.
3: Use 1 in .049 wall for ALL of the tail group like what most other ultralights use (plus the stifners at the horn locations)
And one other thing;
IF, I were to put twin electric motors on this, could they be mounted on the struts right at the jury strut location?
I know this sounds like a complete re-design. If that is what it takes, and if I draw this up on Autodesk, could someone do the stress analysis for me?
Thanks, Ken R.

Back