• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fabricating Fuel Tanks from Thin Aluminum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TejasNW

My plans call for dual in wing aluminum fuel tanks. I am seeking advice on tanks, as I have never done a fuel cell. There was some good information in this thread on thin sheet aluminum; but did not want to hi-jack the thread and detract from the information: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28645

The designer calls for press braking the walls of the tank from an oversized sheet (.020 IIRC.) Then using a sealing compound, adhering the seams together. I am not comfortable with a "glued up" fuel tank in my wings. Is this a common aviation technique? I okay with a tank sealer, like Red Kote, as an interior coating to prevent leaks; but not as the primary structural method. I just think that welding would be a better way to go. I understand the designer was looking to put out simple plans that anyone could do in their garage; but I think I would prefer to weld. Am I missing something important here? I have never build an aircraft before.

Here are a couple of questions. Is welding the tank adding a lot of weight to the fuel cell? This is an LSA aircraft. I can't imagine using Pro-Seal to fabricate the cell would save any weight. I don't think that was the reason for the choice, but I have never really considered weight (ounces) in a welding project. Intuitively, I would believe thin gauge rod to weigh less overall than a caulking/adhesive compound.

As far as safety, I plan to follow up with Red Kote or another liquid interior lining as a belt and suspenders approach. I don't trust my welding that much; or need to save that much weight. In aviation is that an approved practice? Fuel leaks at altitude I would imagine would make for a really bad day.

I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

Back