• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Welding thin aluminum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart fields

I decided to post my progress in welding 0.032" 5003 aluminum. I don't have a video, just audio and the audio is not really releasable to a mixed audience, so I'll try to just write it up. Start: SS wire brush weld area, clean off with "Acetone", Turn gas on, turn helmet on, verify helmet set to weld and not grinder. select proper tungsten size (1/16), select proper filler rod, turn on TIG make sure good ground, set proper current, Strike arc moving around to heat the surface looking for the shiny bubble to form BITERFISTLE RASTERSNOB A hole. Move over try again BRAKAFRATZ, RAKENBLAK, another hole. Why does arc wander around so much. Not good bubble formation. Stick the tungsten in the bubble contaminating the tungsten. GOTDOWNFRAKENBLAST!!! disassemble torch and install new tungsten. Try again..FRANKENFISTERBITLEMISS!! Why is this so hard. I've welded 0.050 and didn't have this much trouble. Minor discovery. Material in "Acetone" can is really kerosene. Accidentally discovered when I poured some out in a small dish for another project. Can was marked in small hard to read handwriting as Kerosene... Also some how bent the lens cup end out of round and couldn't install the new tungsten.
Summary: Progress to date: 17 new cuss words(I couldn't share some of them; they were too hard to spell), a couple of small burns from inspecting work too soon after aborted weld bead laid, Finally got some beads run on flat stock but the lap welds appear to have be done from a low flying seagull. I know I need more practice, but where am I going to find more effective cuss words?

Back