• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Today is the day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
This is a distant memory for me, and time may have altered one or two of the small details. But I have a good memory of it.

48 years ago today I was a seven and a half year old boy swimming in the enormous pool at Caesar's Palace hotel in Las Vegas. Back then they had a high diving board that the guests could use. The lifeguards taught me how to dive off of it, but it did frighten me because it was really really high. I'm sure the laywers have demolished it by now.

There was a commotion around a small black and white TV at the poolside bar, and within a few minutes everyone had gotten out of the pool and crowded around the TV. I was amazed that I had this huge swimming pool all to myself. But everyone there was completely caught up with that tiny little TV, because some guy had said one short sentence, "The Eagle has landed."

Although this is not a forum for discussions about space travel, I think we can all stop and take a moment and think about one of mankind's greatest achievements. Billions in government funding of course, but the men and women who built those early spaceships had the same kind of "homebuilder spirit" as all of us "little guy" airplane builder types. I am still completely amazed at what they accomplished, especially with the technology of the day.

For those who were alive and aware on July 20, 1969... where were you when the Eagle landed on the Moon?

Back