• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Picture me this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Describe ONE airplane you'd consider "inexpensive" and desirable. See notes below.

• Open cockpit

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Closed cockpit

Votes: 39 60.9%
  • Monoplane

Votes: 41 64.1%
  • Biplane (including tandem biplane such as Flea, Quickie)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Non-certified engine (Auto-conversion, HKS, Pegasus, etc.)

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • Certified engine

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Sheet Metal

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Composite

• Tube (or wood) and fabric

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • High wing (or shoulder, parasol)

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Low wing

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Maximum range: Long, cross-country

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Maximum range: Local airshows and $100 burgers

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Soaring (including motorgliders)

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Runways: Paved only

• Runways: Paved + Grass/Dirt

• Runways: STOL (VERY short/rough field)

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Single seat

• Two seat

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • Four seat

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Open cockpit

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Closed cockpit

Votes: 39 60.9%
  • Monoplane

• Biplane (including tandem biplane such as Flea, Quickie)

• Non-certified engine (Auto-conversion, HKS, Pegasus, etc.)

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • Certified engine

• Sheet Metal

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Composite

• Tube (or wood) and fabric

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • High wing (or shoulder, parasol)

• Low wing

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Maximum range: Long, cross-country

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Maximum range: Local airshows and $100 burgers

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Soaring (including motorgliders)

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Runways: Paved only

• Runways: Paved + Grass/Dirt

• Runways: STOL (VERY short/rough field)

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Single seat

• Two seat

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • Four seat

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Out of the data I've gathered so far in my "inexpensive airplane" saga, another question has bubbled up out of the answers. So, with your indulgence, let's explore another aspect of the overall question.

A picture has started to emerge of the sort of use to which people want to put an "inexpensive airplane", what they do and don't expect of one, and even the sort of price range that people see as "inexpensive" in their own terms, whatever those might be. The funny thing is, there are several airplanes already on the market that might fit that definition, yet while these airplanes are popular to a point, the world is hardly beating a path to their door. My suspicion is that the "inexpensive" offerings out there really aren't the sort of airplane for which you're looking, are they?

So while it's a lame way to get an answer to this question (and I can't think of anything more clever until I've had more coffee!), I'd like to explore what your "inexpensive" airplane is, in your mind's eye. Let's pretend that, whatever it is, it's "doable" in the price range desired (a questionable presumption, but let's go with it).

So here are the "rules" on this poll:

• Remember that this is an "inexpensive" airplane. If you want a supersonic 6-passenger stratospheric cruiser, might be best to skip this poll.
  • This can be an airplane that's already on the market, or one from your mind's eye. Either is fine - I'm not trying to find out the "ideal inexpensive airplane" here. That's not the point of the exercise.
  • Describe just ONE airplane - If there's five different airplanes you want, only describe the one you want the MOST. Be tough! :)
  • Check as many boxes as you like, but realize that some are contradictory - you can't have an airplane that's BOTH a monoplane and a biplane, for example. Again, please describe ONE airplane.
  • For the range and runway questions, check the answer that BEST applies to your use actual case, and please be realistic. A cross-country super-STOL machine isn't going to happen, especially in this price range, so be realistic about what you'd ACTUALLY use.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out!

Last edited:
Back