• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

IO-540 Induction Air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyhighdave

I have a 290hp Lyc that I'm putting in my Barracuda project. Came out of a Bellanca 17-31A & it has aft facing induction. This seems counter productive to me because the air has to change directions by 180 deg. to enter the engine. I wonder why this design came to be. That said I am figuring out how to feed air to this engine in this airplane. I have the Bellanca air filter box that has a 2.5 inch inlet on each side and a spring closed alternate air door on its rear. I am thinking of having a naca inlet low & forward on either side of the cowling feeding to the air box through 3 inch ducts. This seems like the shortest route for the air to travel.
Another option is to have a more traditional forward facing scoop behind & under the prop. This may provide better pressure increase but also a longer duct to the engine & again a 180deg. turn around.
Someone recently told me that he had seen this type of engine that was fed air from an opening in the rear engine baffle. Seems like this might rob the engine of needed cooling air.
I enjoy the advise & experience that this forum offers & that is why I am posting this. Thanks!

Back