Page 128 of 134 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2002

Thread: Crashes in the News - Thread

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Crashes in the News - Thread

Unbelievable. Perhaps we should ground all aircraft since one crashed and we don’t know why. CVR and FDR will be sent to Europe for analysis. It will be at least days before the ban is lifted. The number in service is relatively small so I guess the impact to air travel will be minimal. That probably plays into the decision.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's the FAA making the call. The Trump angle is more headline hyperbole.

3. Likes Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The motivation for MPL is likely less about saving money and more about the shortage of qualified pilots....

A 'Perfect Storm' Pilot Shortage Threatens Global Aviation https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisag.../#111bfc271549

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A quote from a news article "Any plane that is currently in the air will be allowed to land and they will be grounded until further notice"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldc View Post
    A quote from a news article "Any plane that is currently in the air will be allowed to land and they will be grounded until further notice"
    Well that's nice they are getting an opportunity to land vs. blasting them out of the sky.

7. Likes TerryM76, choppergirl, bmcj liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh #%$#@&%## our engines quit....We're going to be stuck here all day until a tow comes along.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If reports of smoke from the empennage are true, this may be more of a properly manifested flight issue than a crew issue.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Public over reaction depressing stock 10% + Corporation that's been building airplanes forever + Airlines doing better than ever = Great time to load up on Boeing stock.

It's probably just a software problem that can be fixed by spending next to no money, by turning off a new feature of the autopilot to nose down the airplane when AOA is too high, even when autopilot is switched of. 737's fundamental redundant control system design has been in use for decades.

In three months, people buying the lowest price airline tickets online will forget even what a MAX anything is. Boeing will fork out some big bucks to compensate airlines for their lost revenue (some contract clause), but otherwise will bounce back.

Someone with millions of dollars, take that bet for me. If it works out, and you feel magnanimous, my Paypal is my email address. Surprise me. Maybe then I can finally quit counting out pennies to the HF cashier to buy a $4.99 pack of Chinese sparklers.

Kenny Rogers liked this post.
    Last edited by choppergirl; March 13th, 2019 at 06:13 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldc View Post
    Good, because they're going to be coming down eventually, regardless of orders. We haven't left one up there yet!
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davidb View Post
    Unbelievable. Perhaps we should ground all aircraft since one crashed and we don’t know why. CVR and FDR will be sent to Europe for analysis. It will be at least days before the ban is lifted. The number in service is relatively small so I guess the impact to air travel will be minimal. That probably plays into the decision.
    If you think the idea of buttressing 320 NEO sales isn't going to influence the "extreme thoroughness" and length of the EU analysis, I have a bridge to sell you. Barely used!

Days? Count on weeks.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post
    Public over reaction depressing stock 10% + Corporation that's been building airplanes forever + Airlines doing better than ever = Great time to load up on Boeing stock.
    Don't rush into that purchase of Boeing stock. It has had a long-term run up over several years due to corporate buy-backs and some not-likely-to-be-repeated maneuvers. IOW, it was already quite pricey before all this started, and won't be in "bargain" territory (relative to other equities and present earnings) unless it drops a looong way.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
    I hope you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
    Seems to me that the FAA could have issued an emergency AD on its own. Making it an executive order seems unnecessary.

Since the POTUS is the FAA's boss, of COURSE they're going to publicly agree. But otherwise, it sounds like the FAA didn't want to take the heat for the grounding. Curious.

Ron Wanttaja

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if any actual new data came in, or if the external pressure got to be too much. I've heard a reference to "satellite tracking data" on the Ethiopian crash that caused some people to see similarities to the vertical excursions/behavior of the Lion Air flight, but I haven't seen anything close to unfiltered source data on that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanttaja View Post
    Seems to me that the FAA could have issued an emergency AD on its own. Making it an executive order seems unnecessary.

Since the POTUS is the FAA's boss, of COURSE they're going to publicly agree. But otherwise, it sounds like the FAA didn't want to take the heat for the grounding. Curious.

Ron Wanttaja
    The way it was announced was that it was an "Emergency Order" which would fall under the National Emergencies Act, no? Is grounding airplanes one of the 140-ish emergency declarations a president can make? I agree it should have been addressed by the FAA and existing rules.