Page 125 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2002

Thread: Crashes in the News - Thread

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Crashes in the News - Thread

Here's a report on the Atlas/("Amazon Prime") B-767 freighter crash near Houston today. Much wreckage, no survivors likely.
    No known radio calls reported, descent at high rate/steep angle into the water.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D Hillberg View Post
    $20 bucks say a loose turbocharger clamp and a fire that took a wing off.
    Looking more like there was a loose nut behind the yoke.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The plane crashed into the bedroom of 17-year-old Carmele Ngalamulume, pinning and trapping her against a wall until her brother, who was in the next bedroom, could run in and save her. There were three other children playing in the driveway of the house, according to Judd. Their mother was taking a shower when the plane dropped from the sky.

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBTZwCI?a=1&m=EN-US

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post
    The plane crashed into the bedroom of 17-year-old Carmele Ngalamulume, pinning and trapping her against a wall until her brother, who was in the next bedroom, could run in and save her. There were three other children playing in the driveway of the house, according to Judd. Their mother was taking a shower when the plane dropped from the sky.

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBTZwCI?a=1&m=EN-US
    And you thought we are all safe.By the way how is that Craigs list add doing for pulling in plane parts? Not a bad Idea on your part.
    Taylor- Mono, PDQ.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turd F, He was cited for reckless and lack of maintenance many times - changed his name on FAA records.... a total dirt bag.

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBTZwCI?a=1&m=EN-US "

A very lucky student. Must not have been a loss of control as it would appear at first glance at photo with the tail up in the air.
    The most elegant theory can never change reality but even a mediocre theory can predict reality most of the time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by don january View Post
    And you thought we are all safe.By the way how is that Craigs list add doing for pulling in plane parts? Not a bad Idea on your part.
    No free junk from it, *but* I got a few people wanting to buy ultralights :-/
    A good way maybe to meet some other ultralight people in your area...
    I made this part myself out of a rusty I-beam day before yesterday.

Today I brought two free 5ft step ladders home today, that I saw on the side of the road on my motorbike, the trash truck won't throw away anything but household trash, people... so... two ladders ahead? I look at it as two ladders I'll never have to pay for to buy.

Sticking out crossways one on top of each other like a squashed together biplane wing, one side against the tank, one side against my chest, my arms over them, and my butt on the rear seat. Was a very windy day, and they caused a lot of drag when the wind blew against me hard. First time my motorcycle has ever struggled against the wind. Not a day to be flying any kind of kite, and I resolved that when I fly to fly in the evening rather than the morning, because I'd rather be caught in the dark, than caught in mid-day wind.

Forgot to put up the kickstand and drove 5 miles before I realized something was hitting the ground when I leaned left, so I kicked it back up while level. Driving with a kickstand up can pick your bike up off one wheel and maybe ruin your day.

That could of ended badly and you might of read about me in this years Darwin Awards, or have read about me in the (poorly conceived homebuilt biplane) Crashes In the News - Thread. Wait, what, snap, you are. Man, this thread is hot. One things airplanes can be counted on to do with some regularity - crash.

~

What have we learned from these:

1. In enclosed cockpit airplane crashes with multiple people on board, the pilot is the person most likely to die. Just something I've noticed over a lot of crashes. Has anyone else noticed this? It's almost like a Captain going down with the ship kind of thing. Ostensibly, I conjecture, because he/she/it is entirely in the mindset of flying the plane all the way to a complete stop, fully concentrated, with no time or thought to "brace for impact" (such mindset giving him and everyone else best chance of survival). In passenger airplanes, the pilot is also always furthest forward in the nose of the plane, lessening their chances that much further. Over the wing or in tail = probably safest. Passengers, on the other hand, are completely helpless and without control, thereby with plenty of time to undertake "bracing for impact".
    2. Do not practice engine outs over populated suburbian areas. Derrr.
    3. When making off with roadside booty, in your haste, do not forget to pull up your kickstand up.
    Last edited by choppergirl; February 25th, 2019 at 12:58 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gear up (actually a collapse after failed full extension) at KFAT today. It was filmed by a friend from a trailing aircraft. I hope this works because it’s a Facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/1723459600/...5915082312535/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10. Likes bmcj liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    Gear up (actually a collapse after failed full extension) at KFAT today. It was filmed by a friend from a trailing aircraft. I hope this works because it’s a Facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/1723459600/...5915082312535/
    I had to laugh when I pulled up the N-number on the FAA records and it said, “This aircraft’s registration status may not be suitable for operation.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0711A301-FBFF-4530-8EB0-19A56C935C77.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	78696

I didn’t know the FAA was clairvoyant.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not a crash per say, but interesting research on surviving a crash... John Stapp

46g x200lbs = feeling like you weigh 9,200lbs

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.

13. Likes Jimstix liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was it an interesting N number? I am faceless and can't watch the video...

Choppergirl, I had an MZ for a few years. The sidestand was on the end of the swing arm. I frequently forgot to stow it. I preferred to use the centre stand. There'd be a crunch and a sideways lurch as I heeled into the first left hander... Also done it a few times on other bikes. Never had worse than a lurch. Getting a stowed centrestand down was always a lot more 'interesting', but that never put me off, either.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post
    Not a crash per say, but interesting research on surviving a crash... John Stapp

46g x200lbs = feeling like you weigh 9,200lbs

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
    -my (72 year yong man) experiments with "PULS BUMPER"=

-blue(50 kN tensometer)=2000 N/step
    -yellow (piesoelectric overloudmeter)=500 "G"/step
    -time scale =1 msec/step

V=5 m/s s<0.01 m (strite legs,lying position)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewFile105.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	78741

PS=what calculated deceleration (overloud) we see ?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...136_83295.html

V=15 m/s , s<0.3 m a=0.5 V^2/s =360 m/s^2 ( 37 "G" !!!)

16. Likes jedi liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dr. Stapp was a very interesting guy. Got the USAF to install seat belts in all staff cars and championed their use in all US autos. He was strapped in tighter than a tick and still suffered head, face, and eye injuries. He claimed that the last ride he took on the rocket sled permanently changed his vision. He went on to ride the other sled at Holloman -the Daisy Track - many times. Many of the test films survive and will make you wince. He was also the guy that provided data on seat belt strength of about 6,000 lbs tension. More than that and you are dead anyway. PS, the paved roads on either side of the Holloman High Speed Test Track are named East Stapp and West Stapp Roads in his honor.
    Last edited by Jimstix; March 3rd, 2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: misspelling

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant1 View Post
    It would also be interesting to know if the oncoming crew received any information from the crew that last flew the airplane--the write-up of the problem that the crew left for the maintenance folks, any other routine procedure for passing down info from crew to crew, etc. Even a short conversation in passing at the gate or a sticky note left on the glareshield could have made the difference in giving the mishap crew a heads up, and maybe made a difference. "Hey, I had to fly the last leg with the stick shaker on the whole time. And there's something wrong with the trim on this plane. An AoA vane problem could be causing both issues. I kept getting uncommanded nose-down trim. I turned off electric and auto trim and trimmed with the wheel, it worked fine, much easier than fighting it. I wrote it up."
    Well it happend again, From Fox News On-line:

An Ethiopian Airlines jet faltered and crashed Sunday shortly after takeoff from the country’s capital, spreading global grief to families in 35 countries that had a loved one among the 157 people who were killed.

They were all among the passengers who died Sunday morning when the Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 jetliner crashed shortly after takeoff from Addis Ababa en route to Nairobi, Kenya.

Here is the link:
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/ethiop...n-35-countries

Not much more info on what happened yet.

Richard