• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Organization to teach kids to fly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcj

Supporting Member
I have hinted at this before but have been reluctant to say much before I get more structure to my efforts, but HBA member Texas Flyer has brought up the subject with his ideas, so I will go ahead and add mine to the fray.

A couple of the problems are as follows:

I have been quietly working toward starting an organization that would provide free, or nearly free flight lessons to kids, all the way to their private pilot license. I say "free", but it will not be given away... they must earn their flight time by actively participating in the build of the aircraft. The organization would use one design throughout (possibly a second design if the need demands). By using one design, a squadron (chapter, if you prefer) would have available a flying plane while they build their copy. That way, they can take their earned lessons immediately, rather than wait for the project completion. Once the build is complete, they start a new one (so that they can continue to earn their lessons), and the newly completed plane becomes a starter plane for another squadron. The growth can be exponential.

My organizing time has been limited due to other activities (work, buying a new house, Young Eagle Coordinator for the Central Valley, and serving as Commander for the local Sheriff's Air Squadron), but my house purchase is now final and my 2 year stint as Commander ends in December, so my time is becoming freer to spend on this endeavor (and I should be retiring in about 4-5 years too). I will continue as the YE Coordinator, at least for awhile.

Anyway, here are some of the dilemmas I have been facing and I am open to thoughts and suggestions. Most of it is copied and pasted from an email to Texas Flyer, so forgive any duplication or repetition...

While the Double Eagle is a strong frontrunner, my plan (like we did at Flabob) involves the kids earning their flight time by participating in the build. Wood planes like the Pietenpol would allow the kids to build a majority of the structure. A welded fuselage like the DE doesn't lend itself as well to an unskilled build crew, but I may be wrong. Speed of build is also important in order to keep the light at the end of the tunnel within sight (so the kids don't get discouraged). The unit (Chapter, Squadron, etc... I had sort of envisioned a naming structure similar to WW-1 flight squadrons) would start with a ready to fly 'starter' plane so that they can take their lessons as they earn their time by building. When they finish the build, that plane becomes the flying 'starter' plane for another squadron startup. Since the first squadron has finished their build, they can start on another so that there is an uninterrupted means for members to earn their flight time (lessons). This would also give the kids a better appreciation and understanding of aircraft and maybe even a vocational path for later in life.

The other issue I have is that I want to promote aviation in all forms, so one of my rules is that I not hurt flight schools by taking their potential students. That is one of my conundrums. I would hope that this project would actually mean more business for flight schools because the freshly minted pilots will want to expand into other aircraft (and there may be some parts of the lessons that we cannot do in the DE). Maybe the flight schools and rentals prefer the rental and advanced students over primary students (less wear and tear on their planes). I don't want to hurt the instructors either, so I would like to find a way that we can put instructors to work for pay in the organization, perhaps less per hour but with a very consistent work schedule (almost like a salary). If the program works well with kids, and doesn't hurt the flight schools, perhaps it could be expanded to adults in some form as well.

This type of endeavor would likely need some form of community or corporate support (donations) to make it truly affordable (nearly free) for the kids.

Bruce :)

I'll expound more as time allows. I have made progress in terms of defining my legal options with FAA, tax status with IRS, organization structure (and even have some people in mind for certain roles on the startup). It's surprising how much is involved once you really start to delve into the details.

Back