• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sin^3(x) lift distribution - am I on the right track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM314

Hi, all. I've been trying to work out the bending stresses caused by a BSLD, and I think I've got it but would like confirmation from someone with more experience.

So the lift distribution (right wing shown only, 1/2 span is pi/2) is sin^3, like this:
l(x).jpg

Then the bending moment each point in the span exerts on the root is the lift at that point times its distance from the root, x*sin^3:
m(x).jpg

Then the bending stress at any point in the span is the integral of the purple function, from that point to the wingtip, which is the antiderivative of x*sin^3 evaluated at x minus the antiderivative evaluated at the wingtip, which is a constant and can be disregarded by translating the graph. The bending stress is then this:
M_(x).jpg

This looks visually correct to me, but if someone who has done this or something similar before could check if I'm going about it the right way it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm most worried about the logical step I took in saying that the graph of the moment exerted on the root can be applied to every point on the span, but the bending stress graph looks correct. (not exactly a rigorous proof, I know)
I know that I will need to subtract the downward bending moment caused by the weight of the structure to get an accurate answer, that comes next.

Back