• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

High-performance epoxy resin--VDO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bharding

vinylcyclohexene diepoxide (VDO), left over from building high-performance composite kayaks.

This is a low-viscosity, reactive epoxy diluent. That is, it lowers the viscosity of the resin formulation while participating in the cure and cross-linking. It should be used in vacuum bagging and not in hand layup, as VDO is a suspected human carcinogen. The upside is much higher-density laminates due to the low viscosity. We used VDO to dilute DGEBA resin so that we could more effectively work bagged laminates at lower temperatures and thus have longer working times. Like most epoxy resins, good performance requires heat curing. With the proper curing schedule you can get great performance.

This is heavy-duty stuff: it needs to be formulated with DGEBA, it needs the right curing agent (we used TETA), in the right proportion, and the right curing program (i.e. heat). It's really only to be used for vacuum bagging (due to health considerations and problems with carbonation of the TETA due to the high concentrations required), and it is excellent for that because of its low viscosity.

Did I say that it's a suspected human carcinogen? This is _not_ for hand layup.

But, if you can get past all of that and you use it right, it will give you great performance.

Approximately 10 - 15 gallons in a short drum. Respond with expressions of interest.

I can visualize my name in the news if UPS were to back over the drum in front of a preschool, so some arrangement needs to be made to pick it up in Boulder, CO.

Back